• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NFL Draft Thread

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I know Phillip Rivers has told management he's not moving to LA and has refused to extent his contract. I have a feeling SD is going to trade him for picks. Tennessee is about 160 miles from his hometown.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I know Kiper and McShay have both talked about that possibility. I can see it happening. Rivers is a devout Catholic and his kids are homeschooled. He doesn't like LA and doesn't want his family living in LA, plus Whisenhunt was his OC for a year and they have a good relationship.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'm starting to prefer Mariota over Winston. I think his size and talent, coupled with his maturity, puts him ahead of Winston. I'm starting to have serious misgivings about Winston and his lack of maturity. It's not that anything has happened lately, I just think if I'm an NFL owner about to use a first round pick on a franchise QB and invest millions of dollars in him, I would prefer Mariota.

BigBob

Registered Member
I wouldn't take Mariota over Winston. I personally wouldn't take Mariota in the first round. He's, in my opinion, the definition of a system quarterback. He may show some flashes with his legs like Kaepernick, and in my opinion may have a slightly better arm, but I wouldn't call him anything more than a gimmick quarterback.

I believe he would succeed with the Eagles because of what Chip Kelly is trying to do there, however that's the only team I see him making an impact with.

I hope I'm wrong because I really like him. He'd be a great leader. Tim Tebow was also a great leader. It doesn't mean they had the tools in the beginning to make an impact on a team.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ron Jaworski thinks Mariotta is going #1 to Tampa...I think that's a mistake and I agree he's probably a system QB.

But I do like him too...we'll see...I just wouldn't trade up that much to get him unless I was Philly.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
But then all you do is create a system that go with his strengths. There's nothing wrong with a system QB, if you implement that system. If you don't like that system, like say Chip Kelley's system, then you don't draft a guy like Mariota. It's a quick, fast system, which means you better have a good defense that isn't going to be exposed by getting back on the field so quickly.

I would rather have a good system QB, if I'm going to run that system, than someone I can't trust to stay out of trouble. A great leader like Tebow may not have the tools in the beginning to make an impact, but neither do immature guys like Manziel.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
True system QB's are fine but how many teams run an offense like that besides Philly?

Unless you knew you were gonna do this you'd have to probably wait a year or so to get the necessary pieces. So yeah, you could, just might take a bit longer to pull it off.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
True, but obviously what has been tried in Tampa hasn't worked, so for all we know that may be the next thing. Not many ran the West Coast until Bill Walsh, then it was everywhere.

I don't really buy the whole system QB things anyway. I mean I do when you look at Mariota and his success at Oregon, but nothing tells me he can't adapt to a new system in the NFL. Given his maturity and the likelihood he will be the first guy in the morning and the last to leave in the evening, he may actually be a pretty good QB in the NFL in any system.

BigBob

Registered Member
There's apparently a rumor that the Eagles, Titans and Browns have a trade in place.

Eagles get #2
Titans get Cox, Kendricks, #19 (Browns), #20
Browns get Bradford

Any truth to it? We'll see. I haven't really looked into too many rumors draft-wise because most of them aren't going to be true.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz NFL 14
Babe_Ruth NFL 6
Babe_Ruth NFL 21
Babe_Ruth NFL 17
Babe_Ruth NFL 46