• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NFL Draft Thread

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The draft will be here before ya know it...

Like 2 months...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think the Bears will probably draft Landon Collins from Alabama. The 7th pick is a little high to use on a safety, but it's a position of need, and he'll be the best one available.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I don't follow college football, so the only names I know are Mariotta, Winston and Gordon. I have no idea who will pick who and who should pick who. I'll probably still end up watching the first hour of two though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You're missing out. But I guess college ball isn't real big in the northeast. I think it's a better game though. Better atmosphere, more variety of offenses and defenses, more drama, more passion. Plus it's fun following the future pros all the way from high school and seeing them develop.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm sure it'd be great to watch in person. On TV though, it's like NyQuil. Not having a 12 or 16 team playoff is a deal breaker for me. All my favorite sports end in a playoff. 4 teams is not enough. And speaking of that... way too many teams and players to keep track of.

Those are probably silly reasons to you... but yeah, I'll stick with the NFL.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's exactly how I feel about college ball. I try and keep up, but I don't follow it like I do the NFL. No real playoff system, too many conferences, too many teams...

Anyway, I hope Dallas goes defense, primarily DT and CB. I'm not ready to give up on Claiborne, but Carr I am. I would also like to see us grab a RB, maybe Coleman in the Second round. Especially if Murray doesn't return.

I would like to see them grab Michael Bennett from Ohio State in the first.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm sure it'd be great to watch in person. On TV though, it's like NyQuil. Not having a 12 or 16 team playoff is a deal breaker for me. All my favorite sports end in a playoff. 4 teams is not enough. And speaking of that... way too many teams and players to keep track of.

Those are probably silly reasons to you... but yeah, I'll stick with the NFL.
The only silly reason I hear a lot is that the NFL is better just because it has the best players. Most other reasons are valid and I can understand them.

Like any sport though, it's only exciting if you have a rooting interest and have some kind of awareness of the context of the game. If you don't care about any of the teams or know what's at stake in any given game, then it's essentially like watching an exhibition game. I love soccer, but I can't just sit down and watch some random game from, say, Italian Serie A if I haven't been following the season at all and have no idea how that game will impact the league moving forward.

Regarding the number of teams and conferences, yeah, there's quite a few. But if you start out watching one particular team, you quickly become familiar with all of the teams in that conference. And then maybe you start watching a few of the big games for the top playoff contenders in other conferences. Or maybe you hear about some ridiculous freshman for Oklahoma named Adrian Peterson and want to see him play. Before you know it, you're at least somewhat familiar with most of the good teams and a lot of the best players.

Sure, the playoff could be better. I'd like to see it expand to 8 teams, but no more than that. At 8 teams, you're at least going to have the best one or two teams from each of the major conferences. Beyond that, the other teams really aren't deserving of playing for a championship. Plus, the fact of the matter is that the more teams that make the playoffs, the less important each regular season game becomes.

I don't care what anyone says, college football has BY FAR the most exciting regular season in sports. In no other sport can the entire landscape of the championship race change so much because of a single game at any point in the season (barring some kind of season ending injury to a star player).

CaptainObvious said:
I would like to see them grab Michael Bennett from Ohio State in the first.
I'd love to see him drafted in the first round. He's a little undersized for an interior lineman, but he's really disruptive, and he's also a great guy and leader.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's exactly what I like about him. He is really disruptive and he will be a great guy in the locker room. He is a tad small, but still enough size to make an impact. We need help inside, especially if we don't resign Henry Melton, which is looks like we aren't.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Mariota looked pretty good in the Combine but Winston really showed he has an arm and should be the #1 pick overall. He really has all the tools to be a successful NFL QB, if he can mature a little.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm leaning towards UT's Malcolm Brown with Dallas' first pick. I wouldn't even mind moving up a little bit to get him. He has good size, 6'4" 315 pounds, and would be great in the middle of that D Line.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz NFL 14
Babe_Ruth NFL 6
Babe_Ruth NFL 21
Babe_Ruth NFL 17
Babe_Ruth NFL 46