• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NFL 2011 Offseason Discussion

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I know it's a bit early but I wanted to get the offseason thread going righ tnow because of all of the coaching changes going on.

Vacancies:
Browns
Panthers
Broncos
Raiders

Filled:
Vikings (Frasier)
Cowboys (Garrett)
49'ers (Harbaugh)

Former head coaches available:
Jon Gruden
Brian Billick
Jim Harbaugh
Bill Cowher
Holmgren (only for the Browns, but unlikely)
Tom Cable
Marty Schottenheimer

Coordinators linked to HC jobs:
Perry Fewell (Giants DC)
Marty Mornhinweg (Eagles OC)
Ron Rivera (Chargers DC)
Rob Ryan (Browns DC)
Gregg Williams (Saints DC)

Coaches confirmed to be returning:
Kubiak in Texas
Del Rio in Jacksonville
Coughlin in Jersey/A
Lewis in Cincy
Fisher in Tennessee
Sporano in Miami

This is going to be a crazy year for coaching changes.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Marvin Lewis will interview with the Niners.

I'm hoping this will be one of those, "Well, if you don't get the job, would you come here as the DC?" deals. Might just be a Rooney Rule interview. Lewis is not considered a serious candidate for the job.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't expect Lewis to be the 49ers coach either. He's looking to be with a team that has a great organization like the Ravens and Steelers. I just can't be sure that any NFL team fits that bill right now and he might take the Pitt job. The 49ers are going to push for Harbaugh. I only see Lewis taking the Broncos or Titans jobs depending on their respective availabilities.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I hope Harbaugh doesn't go to the Wolverines, knowing his luck he'll be gone in two or three years because Michigan is in a crappy slump right now. Go to the Broncos, you can build a team there... or San Fran.

Cable deserves to get his option picked up. The Raiders went 8-8 for GODS SAKE. They went 6-0 in the division! If they were in the NFC they would have won the West. Haha.

BigBob

Registered Member
To start, Garrett still isn't set in stone as being the head coach. Jerry Jones already hinted that the with his options "there's never been a coach to win a Super Bowl with two different teams". The only two head coach's not in a job right now that's won a Super Bowl and is looking to come back in that are in the running with Garrett?

Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden.

Let's talk about the draft.

Will Andrew Luck come out? It's up in the air right now, but who will trade up for the pick? The Panther's would be stupid not to take an offensive lineman with the pick or at least trade down and pick up an offensive lineman or wide receiver. You've got A.J. Green if he comes out which could make a Randy Moss-like impact as a rookie.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
To start, Garrett still isn't set in stone as being the head coach. Jerry Jones already hinted that the with his options "there's never been a coach to win a Super Bowl with two different teams". The only two head coach's not in a job right now that's won a Super Bowl and is looking to come back in that are in the running with Garrett?

Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden.
Garrett will be the new head coach. The players respect him, and Jerry Jones will not hire a new guy. I have heard that they are interviewing the WR coach to satisfy the Rooney rule, but Garrett is going to be the next coach.

Will Andrew Luck come out? It's up in the air right now, but who will trade up for the pick? The Panther's would be stupid not to take an offensive lineman with the pick or at least trade down and pick up an offensive lineman or wide receiver. You've got A.J. Green if he comes out which could make a Randy Moss-like impact as a rookie.
I think he will. I don't want to watch another "Locker Fall" happen. Go out when your stock is high! Also, with Harbaugh possibly leaving, then he should go now before a new system is instituted.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Let's talk about the draft.

I've said this a few times, but I'll repeat myself here too. Luck is the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning and the most polished since Elway. Luck probably reminds me more of Steve Young than Elway.

Elway is widely considered to be the best QB prospect ever to come out of college.

A lot of early talks are that the Washington Redskins will select Locker with the tenth overall pick, supposedly Mike Shanahan likes him a lot, and he wants him. Lots of people believe that Locker is going to be a huge bust, especially since so many people praised him early on this season.

I'm excited to see Green, I have him going to the Bengals, especially not that Owens won't be back, and probably Ocho Cinco either.

Konshentz

Konshentz
What are the chances that both Young & Fisher are with the Titans at the beginning of next season? Ha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Early reports are that Bud Adams wants to keep Jeff Fisher and get rid of Vince Young. He doesn't believe Young is the Quarterback for this team, and he wants to keep Fisher has the head coach of this team. It's a tough situation for me to comment on, one hand you have Young who I believe can be a good quarterback in this league if given a chance.

On the other hand, I do believe Fisher is a good coach, and his respected by his players. He's done so much for this orginazation and letting him go because of this is a small slap in the face.

All that said, I do believer Fisher will be back next season, Young not so much.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/04/jeff.fisher.ap/