• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Next Gen Consoles

BigBob

Registered Member
Again, Game Developers can make Online Only games, which is why I said "It has more to do with the Developers".

dDave

V.I.P.
Again, Game Developers can make Online Only games, which is why I said "It has more to do with the Developers".
Not necessarily. Keep in mind that Microsoft can make it so each game has to be registered and thus linked to an account (or console). If you aren't logged in then obviously you won't be able to play your games.

BigBob

Registered Member
Not necessarily. Keep in mind that Microsoft can make it so each game has to be registered and thus linked to an account (or console). If you aren't logged in then obviously you won't be able to play your games.
We're talking about Sony though.

I already know what Microsoft is doing, and because of what they're doing, a ton of my friends have already decided to make the switch to Sony next-gen.

Sony can still do it. Just because one person said right now that they aren't, it doesn't mean it won't change. They only changed their mind because they seen the backlash that Microsoft got announcing it first.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It seem like most Sony games don't though. Online-only games are still very uncommon and most games usually offer both online and offline. Even if a lot of companies start making online-only games Sony will still have offline available for those who don't.

As for them changing their mind? Well it's already been confirmed that the PS4 version of Diablo 3 will have offline play so I doubt that.

Also, I thought that Microsoft made their announcement about it after Sony made theirs. I didn't hear anything about the new xbox being totally online until weeks after Sony announced that they would still have offline.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
It's been well known that the next-gen consoles were going to be online only for close to, and possibly over, a year. Sony seen the backlash and pulled out, Microsoft believed it didn't matter and kept it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm I didn't hear it that early on. Microsoft are idiots if they do it. They are only thinking of America. America has great, fast, broadband internet basically country-wide from what I can hear. Not every country is like that. Even here in Australia many outback and more rural communities still struggle with old dialup and laggy internet that could not run this type of console if it was online all the time. It's good Sony is giving them the option to keep it offline.

dDave

V.I.P.
Hmm I didn't hear it that early on. Microsoft are idiots if they do it. They are only thinking of America. America has great, fast, broadband internet basically country-wide from what I can hear. Not every country is like that. Even here in Australia many outback and more rural communities still struggle with old dialup and laggy internet that could not run this type of console if it was online all the time. It's good Sony is giving them the option to keep it offline.
No, that's not true. There are a lot of outback and rural communities out here as well. Many and I mean MANY people around here don't even have anything other than phone lines wired to their houses. The fastest connection you can get off of that is 1.5mbps with constant ping over 150. And the rates for that connection speed is insane.

We recently switched and got a receiver on the top of the house for a connection that gets about 8Mbps when connected wirelessly to a tower, the ping varies from 90 to the potential 500 (happens for a few hours spanned throughout the week, but it happens on a pattern like that, I have no clue why) it is unplayable by all means. I've done some research and without about $10,000 of installing cable into our area, we will never be able to get faster internet than that. We upgraded to this for the extra bandwidth, the quality of the connection is just beyond me. I'd call my connection stable (as in it very rarely actually disconnects regardless of connection quality), but definitely not reliable for online games.

Occasionally my bandwidth will drop off the map for no apparent reason. I've seen my bandwidth as low as 0.23Mbps using speedtest.net this was without any other stress on the connection.

Online gaming doesn't require a ton of bandwidth (and changing some settings on your router can fix connection speed). If you go into the QoS settings on your router you can optimize it better for gaming (if you know how to do that).

I still disagree with Microsoft's whole online only idea.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm not just talking about slow internet, but internet dropping out completely for periods of time. Either way unless they change it I shall remain a Sony girl through and through.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm not just talking about slow internet, but internet dropping out completely for periods of time. Either way unless they change it I shall remain a Sony girl through and through.
Yeah. Haven't had the issue of the connection dropping all the time since we had it wired in (the one I mentioned at 1.5Mbps)

A move like this makes me think Sony really cares about what they do and makes me want to look into them again. The only console of theirs that I've ever had is PS2 (with some PSX games included)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
The PS2 was a pretty epic console. But I think I like the PS3 even more. I am excited for the PS4, I have always loved Sony products. Microsoft have always been hit and miss for me when it comes to gaming.