• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Next Gen Consoles

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am currently at the point where I am considering purchasing a PS3 again after selling my previous console. I am still seeing games I want that I can only get on the PS3 but I am wondering if I am being a little hasty.

Word has been spreading that we may see the PS4 as the 4th quarter of this year, we have not seen a console or the specs but as games have been made available for pre-order it would not take a lot of break them down and figure out the specs the PS4 is possibly going to be running. I am now starting to think about stick with my Xbox360 and waiting another year and hoping that between now and then the next Xbox makes itself known, I am pretty sure I will go out and buy the next Xbox on the day of release, it has been a very long time since I did that but I want the next gen console that badly.

Are you interested though? Will you rush out to buy the next big thing or are happy with what you have and hope that the 360 or PS3 is support for another year?

Konshentz

Konshentz
We haven't seen the actual PS4, but we've seen the controller & some of the specs.

They're in the newest Game Informer magazine.

Like I said in the 'early or late' thread, I will be getting the PS4 day one. As soon as it's up for pre-order, I'll do it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I will be getting a PS4 for sure, it looks amazing so far. As for when I get it. I'll most likely wait a while. Maybe half a year or a year after it comes out.

dDave

V.I.P.
The PS3 is by far the most powerful 7th gen console. (the graphics are made even better with the use if Blu Ray discs)

I've heard a great deal about the next Sony console. They're allegedly going to have dual GPU, a screen on the controller (gee I wonder who thought of that first, no its not who you think.) it will also include fast wireless N, faster load times (due to a faster optical drive), USB 3.0, and Bluetooth capabilities.

I'm feeling pretty confident that the PS4 will be much more powerful than the Wii U (though not to the same extreme as the Wii vs PS3).

The new XBOX is coming, but we don't know a lot about it. We can be pretty sure that they're dumping DVD. I'm hoping for a crossfire setup on the graphics cards.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
For dDave, I'm pretty sure they announced that the new Xbox will be moving to a new disc, but still won't be going to BluRays.

As for Next-Gen Systems, I probably won't be getting one.. at least until the price of the PS4 is under $200.

The 720 is out of the question because used games are going to be blocked. That has still not been announced for the PS4 yet.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I thought I read somewhere that they wouldn't be blocked on the PS4. Now I'm not too sure. I'll have to try find where I read it.

dDave

V.I.P.
For dDave, I'm pretty sure they announced that the new Xbox will be moving to a new disc, but still won't be going to BluRays.

As for Next-Gen Systems, I probably won't be getting one.. at least until the price of the PS4 is under $200.

The 720 is out of the question because used games are going to be blocked. That has still not been announced for the PS4 yet.
Yeah, Nintendo did the same thing, it's technically called a "Wii U Optical Disc", however, it is in fact the same thing as a Blu Ray (they are both 25GB), Nintendo has simply encoded it to only work with the Wii U. I'm expecting for Microsoft to do something similar even if they don't call it a Blu Ray.

Blocking used game sales is a low blow and I don't think that Microsoft can get away with it. It will cripple the console because so many people won't want one. Just think about this, you won't even be able to bring a game over to a friends house without bringing your whole console. (Unless they have some sort of annoying login and verification process).

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I also heard Microsoft was considering making it online only with no offline play at all. That would be a huge turn-off for me. I basically only play single player games offline. I hardly even connect my PS3 to the internet at all. And some days our internet doesn't work that well. It would suck for people who have dodgy internet connections to have an online only console.

BigBob

Registered Member
Sony is possibly going to do the same thing, though. It has more to do with the Developers though.

The problem a lot of people have with the 720 is that you apparently have to have a camera set up, and rumors are Microsoft said they may use it to count how many people are sitting in front of the TV. They patented something recently that gives them the ability to do that.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
No Sony has confirmed that they definitely will not be doing that. In an interview one of the major developers said that they understand not everyone is into online social games and offline play will be available.