• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Next-Gen Consoles blocking used games

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Crysis developer Crytek hopes the next generation of consoles take steps to stamp out used games. Speaking to CVG, Crytek director of creative development Rasmus Hoejengaard said he would enjoy seeing Microsoft and Sony incorporate an anti-used-game system in their future consoles.
Next-gen that blocks used would be 'awesome' says Crysis dev - GameSpot.com

I just read through this interesting article which brings up the idea of next-gen consoles blocking the use of used (preowned) games. While this would be terrible for us as gamers, no longer being able to buy really cheap games it would be good for game developers.

The article brings up a good point of this type of thing not happening in other industries. Sure you can probably buy used DVD's and blu-rays in thrift stores and the like, but it isn't common. When you go into a store you don't see a huge section of preowned DVD's, just of new DVD's.

It's the same with software like Word, Adobe products etc, you can't buy used copies of those for cheap.

They say it probably won't happen due to the backlash from gamers being too big.

What do you think of this? if the industry did do this would you support it or be against it?

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Half and half. On the business side of things, I agree with it, as developers and publishers don't receive any money from the sale of second hand games; it only goes to the store owner. It would mean that they would only have to worry about people pirating their software.

On the other hand, on the consumer side of things, I think you should be able to sell your old games. The second hand market is also a way of getting games cheap, because lets face it, it's an expensive hobby. Used games are, depending on where you look, somewhat cheaper, allowing those with not much disposable income to buy games more often. Further, used games also mean that there is almost always going to be a copy of an old game available somewhere; a few years back, I bought a copy of System Shock 2 off of eBay, and that is at least 10-12 years old. I can't buy that shit new in the stores, because no store is going to have it in stock.

Getting rid of the second hand market for games potentially means that old games suddenly because inaccessible for those looking to play them a few years down the line. The only way to solve that would be to push out all games through digital distribution, and I'm against that because (a) considering the size of these games, it would mean keeping all your games installed would be a pain in the ass in terms of required space (at least for the Xbox, because unlike Sony, there's no fucking way in hell MS would ever let you use your own hard drives; I mean, hell, they're trying to sell their 320 GB HDDs for £120 - I can buy a portable HDD of the same size for £42!), and (b) it would mean that you could forget about shopping around for the best deal, because they'd only be available via MS or Sony.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm absolutely against this, when you buy a game at the store it's YOURS, you can do whatever you want with it. it's one of the reasons why I'm not particularly fond of iTunes doing anything other than music.

One problem I think would be even more evident is piracy. If you completely block out the sale of used games, sure some people will pay extra, but some people will revert to piracy.

If used games cannot be sold then a lot of people would think twice before buying one.

If, however, this is legitimate and will happen, the only way to do it is via digital download. It also makes me wonder how renting games would work.

I think that if this really is going to happen that the best course of action is to do what Nintendo has done with VC. The games in there are relatively cheap because Nintendo does not need to package anything with it, you're basically paying for a few quick seconds to download from their server.

I can see the prices of new games going up because of this, it would be a new monopoly on the market. There's also the potential that they could go down though because packaging, shipping, retailers, etc. would be mostly eliminated from the process.

This is about as dumb as if the entire auto industry decided that cars from now on could only be used by one person/family and it's illegal to sell it.

There's a huge market for used things in America, I don't see why MS and Sony could ever think that they are so special. Heck it might even cause Sega to finally get back into making consoles! :lol:

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
I think that that is one of the worst ideas I have heard in a long time. Not as a business idea, since the companies and developers would not lose money from the resale of games, but as an idea in general.

There are two consequences which could impact the market greatly.
1st, like dDave said, many people would most probably revert to piracy, since they would not be prepared/unable to pay money to buy new games - let's face it, these things are not cheap.
2nd, many gamers, proffesional and casual especially, would be pissed off by such a decision, causing the developers to lose a big number of costumers. Which makes me doubt that they will be really implementing this.

Lastly, there is maybe also a bit of an environmental concern - what to do with old games that you really don't want to play anymore but you can't sell them? Throw them away?

Iris

rainbow 11!
What? I really hope they don't, if they did, I'd stick with my 360 and tell the next generation to suck on my asshole. Would that mean our old games would be useless? Because that would really make me angry. I have quite a big collection, a mixture of old an news games that I would be furious if I had replace it.

I think the backlash from gamers would be too big for them to chance it. If you think about it, this could potentially cause the next gen to fail as far as sales goes. People would be unwilling to buy such a console and the games as well. So it would be a double hit against them.

BigBob

Registered Member
What? I really hope they don't, if they did, I'd stick with my 360 and tell the next generation to suck on my asshole. Would that mean our old games would be useless? Because that would really make me angry. I have quite a big collection, a mixture of old an news games that I would be furious if I had replace it.

I think the backlash from gamers would be too big for them to chance it. If you think about it, this could potentially cause the next gen to fail as far as sales goes. People would be unwilling to buy such a console and the games as well. So it would be a double hit against them.
Microsoft is already contemplating removing backwards compatibility all together, so you should be more worried about that if you want to be able to play all your old games on a new system.

But onto topic, I don't plan on getting a next-gen system as it is because the games I played didn't wow me at all when they came out for the next-gen systems. This would just be another reason for me not to buy a new system.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Yeah, fuck that. If they do that, then I'll more than likely stick with my current system and wait for them to come out with a console that has backwards compatibility. If that never happens, then I won't get a new system... Not unless I start making bank. I'm way too poor.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Got to be one of the worst ideas ever.

Even though resale rates are fucking stupid (39.99 new and 35.99-38.99 pre-owned, wtf?), game developers have been given a tax break here anyway; it's costing them less to produce games!

When you're unemployed and in a slump, gaming can help and cheap games are the only way you can afford them; they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I buy a lot of used games, so not being able to buy them or trade them in would suck... but it won't stop me from buying a next-gen system.

wooly

I am the woolrus
First thing i thought about this is "well... that just means a lot less people will buy the console", and judging by most of the responses in this thread, it seems to be the case!

However, there is a way that this could be an absolutely fantastic idea, where both gamers and the gaming industry benefit, and that is if they cut video game prices drastically. I'm talking by HALF. Also, making sure that a lot more of games are actually included, and not held back as overpriced DLCs to milk as much money out of the customer as possible. Then whatever DLCs that are released need to be a lot cheaper aswell.

That way i don't think people would feel so bad about this new strategy, i certainly wouldn't, and even with the big price cuts, i think the gaming industry would still profit, because i'd confidently say that the majority of gamers buy second hand games, which the gaming industry makes absolutely no money on. I don't know anybody that regularly buys new games, and i hardly ever buy new games. So if they could reduce prices enough for people to go for this strategy, i think it could work out well all round.
------
I'm absolutely against this, when you buy a game at the store it's YOURS, you can do whatever you want with it. it's one of the reasons why I'm not particularly fond of iTunes doing anything other than music.
By the same rationale though, they're perfectly within their rights to make these games able to work on one console only, cus they're free to design it however they want.

Although thinking about that, what happens if your console "RRODs", or whatever the equivalent will be? there needs to be a way that games will work on the next console the user buys. The only way i can see around that is if games were only allowed to work with a single gamer profile, but then that's even more ridiculous because if multiple members of one family want to play a game they'd have to buy multiple copies!

So really i don't know how they're going to enforce this properly.... The possibility of a console breaking raises a lot of issues.

Last edited: