• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Newtown families to sue gunmaker

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't understand how they can hold the gunmaker responsible for what Lanza did. This would be like suing a automaker because someone decided to run someone over with a car. I think a lawsuit like this is a waste of court time. I feel for anyone that lost someone on that day and I can understand how it would be hard to deal with. However going after the gun manufacturer because you didn't get the tougher laws you wanted isn't helping anyone.

Thoughts?

Newtown victims' families sue Bushmaster and Camfour, maker and seller of rifle - CBS News

Newtown families to announce lawsuit against gunmaker - CBS News

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Frivilous. As Judge Cardozo explained in the Palzgraf case (that every law school student studies as a seminal case) in Torts, you must establish a zone of foreseeability. When the gunmaker made the gun, was it foreseeable that someone would use it to shoot school kids? No. Just like Hilander's example when Ford makes a car, it isn't foreseeable someone would use it to run someone over. This case should be thrown out on Summary Judgment.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah it would be totally stupid. So if someone hits someone with a brick and kills them then the brick maker could be sued?
Theres too many things that can also be used as weapons and guns werent made to kill people. They were made for hunting and defense.
Using their logic knife makers could be sued anytime someone is killed with a hunting or fishing knife.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There are many people that think this suit is great and think the gun manufacturers should be held responsible. However I don't think they are really thinking this through.

All of a sudden cars, knives, rat poison, base ball bats, pharmaceuticals and a host of other manufacturers could be held responsible for what their product is used for. These companies could be sued out of existence because after all that would be where the big payoff would come from. They wouldn't get much, if anything, out of the idiot that decided to use a product for something it wasn't intended for.