News

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, May 4, 2006.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright this is the place we're going to post news around the league. Here's a few rules to follow, you're aloud to post injuries on key players, not some second rate player, your aloud to post anything about a player if he's in trouble with the law. I will allow double posting for this thread, and if you find your information from another site make sure that you post where you got your information from. Also if you have any questions about what to post and what not to post private message me, don't reply.

2. Babe_Ruth

Astros general manager Tim Purpura and owner Drayton McLane Jr. met with the agents for Roger Clemens on Tuesday to discuss a contract proposal the Astros submitted to the seven-time Cy Young Award winner.
    "This was our first meeting. Basically, it was a chance to sit down and go over the preliminary offer we submitted to [agents Randy and Alan Hendricks]," Purpura said. "I thought it went fine, but there's not a lot to report because Roger still hasn't made a decision [as to whether he will pitch in 2006 or retire]. If he does decide to come back, obviously we'd love to have him, and we've made very clear our interest in having him back."

Monday marked the first day the Astros could begin negotiations with Clemens, who is being courted by four teams: the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers. Because the Astros did not offer Clemens arbitration in December, Major League Baseball rules dictate they were barred from negotiating with him until May 1.

The Astros didn't waste time once the negotiating window opened. The proposal was submitted on Monday and the two sides -- minus Clemens, who did not attend -- met face-to-face on Tuesday.

"It was a good meeting," Purpura said. "I think they have a clear picture of where we're at and what the possibilities are should Roger decide to pitch again."

Purpura will not discuss contract numbers, but Clemens made $18 million last season, the largest single-season contract for a pitcher in Major League history. Though any 2006 deal with Clemens would be prorated, Purpura said Monday it would be very difficult for a player of Clemens' stature coming off a season like the one Clemens had to take a paycut.

Clemens made $3 million per month for the six months of the regular season last year, and that figure could be a starting point for negotiations this time.

Hendricks said last week his client does not intend to pitch in May. The Astros are prepared to wait as long as it takes for Clemens, whether it's June, July or August.

Purpura said no timetable exists for a decision from Clemens and that no other meetings have been planned with the Hendricks brothers. The Astros have made their pitch, and will now wait for the Rocket.

"Randy's perception was if he [Clemens] does come back, it will certainly be before the All-Star Break [July 10-12]," Purpura said. "We'd love to have him back sooner rather than later, but we're not opposed to waiting [beyond July] if that's what it takes."

Courtesy of www.mlb.com

3. Babe_Ruth

Albert Bell gets arrested for stalking is former wife. This is not the first time that he gets arrested, he already got arrested a while back for harrasment.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The Orioles and Melvin Mora have agreed to a contract extension.

BALTIMORE -- The Orioles have called a press conference for 2 p.m. ET on Friday, when they are expected to announce that third baseman Melvin Mora has reached agreement on a three-year contract extension with an option for a fourth year. The two sides have been working on the deal for months, and it is expected to pay Mora at least $25 million.

The Baltimore Sun reported that the contract is for three years and $24 million, and that the option year contains a $1 million buyout. That would be a substantial raise for Mora, who played the last three years on a $10.5 million deal. The infielder has been one of Baltimore's most productive players, earning All-Star nods in two of the last three years.

Mora came to Baltimore from the New York Mets in 2000, as part of a trade for shortstop Mike Bordick. He was a lightly regarded utilityman at the time, but he blossomed into a full-time player once he became an Oriole. Mora hit .250 in his first full season with the O's and .233 the next year, but then he went through a late-career renaissance.

He hit .317 with 15 home runs in 2003 and was turned into a full-time third baseman in 2004. Since then, he's hit .340 and .283, smacking 27 homers in each of the last two seasons. The 34-year-old is currently batting .288 with seven home runs, and he'll be 37 at the end of the three-year deal -- 38 if the Orioles exercise their option.

- www.mlb.com

5. Funyun

Funyun Guest

Maybe he threw a baseball at his ex because she was taunting him about his alcohol rehab. :yes:

6. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

If he did that he's not much of a stalker.

7. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Zack Greinke, who gave up three two-run homers in one inning Sunday in a loss to Detroit, has been dropped from the Kansas City Royals' rotation and will work out of the bullpen. Greinke, who left the club in spring training 2005 and received treatment for social anxiety, is 1-4 with a 5.71 ERA in seven starts. Opponents are hitting .338 against him. Greinke was the sixth overall pick in the 2002 draft and he made his major league debut in 2004 at age 20. He led the American League with 17 losses in 2005. While Bell did not say who would take Greinke's spot in the rotation, the Royals have two right-handers, Scott Elarton and Luke Hudson, who are coming off shoulder injuries and have been rehabbing in the minors. Both are close to coming off the disabled list. Elarton threw 105 pitches Monday for class AA Wichita in his fifth minor league rehab start.

8. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member