Newborn babies that swim

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Mirage, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Have you guys heard of when people put newborn babies in pools and they hold their breath and swim out of instinct?

For example:

[​IMG]

And double the action:

[​IMG]

So what do you think? Would you put your baby under water and see if he or she swims around or would you be too afraid they wouldn't hold their breath?

They (apparently) hold their breath by instinct when put in a pool but you could argue that there is always the exception.

By the way, seriously you have to admit the above pictures are awesome! :lol:

2. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Newborn babies are known to do so.
    But if you wait too long then you have to teach them, they lose that instinct.
    The photos are adorable and I bet they've been swimming all their lives :D
    My mother-in-law is a swimming instructor and she said she'd be happy to teach my kids to swim, but it has yet to happen.

3. Mirage

Hey Boredie are you going to bring your newborn to her for some early swimming lessons? Get some pictures like the ones above if you do!

Of course I don't know for sure if I would recommend this. I think I'd be worried dropping somebody who can't even walk, let alone crawl into a pool. :lol: I suppose you'd be RIGHT there but still.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

We have some swimming for babies courses in here. Apparently they "learn" faster than older children. An instructor said you raise them, which automatically opens their mouth and take in air, then put them in water...I panic at the thought so I never took my kids to those lessons. I guess my kids will just be like me - learning to swim later (but maybe not as late as 17yo).

5. Mirage

It's funny because they can't stay above water on their own but they will swim all around underwater with no problem as long as you lift them up for air every few seconds. How long can they hold their breath? I'd guess up to 10 seconds or so?

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I'd be too scared to take the newborn for a swim that's why my toddler doesn't know how to either yet. I understood from someone that if you don't start that early on but try at the age of 3-6 months that is also good, but my M-I-L freaks out at the idea, and if she does, who am I to dare do it?

7. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

I would do it with a professional instructor with lots of experience, but no other way.

But since I've missed that window, I'll just get them in classes next summer (daughter will be 5, boys will be 1.5 and 2.5) and start them out at that age.

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

whoo! That's insane i couldn't even swim when I was like 4 or 5 but I'm fine now... thankfully.

I've never heard of a swimming baby before, I'd be too afraid to put any baby in the water, seriously... What kind of baby NEEDS to swim?

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Eventually we all need to learn how to swim (or at least majority of the people think it's one of those skills you can use in life). So why not start when you're a baby? They're supposed to learn faster because of their instinct, or whatever, since a big part of their life was spent "swimming" inside the womb. Being in water is more natural for them. :dunno: