New York Times - Abortion images

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by DinoFlintstone, Oct 11, 2009.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Even aborted feotus should recieve the dignity not to be photographed and paraded around, you would of expected those who were so against it might at least give them that respect.

3. DinoFlintstone

In fairness, there is plenty warning before you see the images, and personally, I think it helps Mothers think, because a lot of people don't actually realise that the person inside them, though as small as a wee finger, they still look like the humans they are, just like you or I, in early stages. It's an education.

Also, if they deserve dignity, then why kill them?

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Either it's the same as showing pictures of a removed tumor or it's the same as showing pictures of dead people.

I think everybody who goes in for an abortion should be required to look at pictures and videos of what they are about to "choose".

It's not one of the issues that I will take the politically correct approach to and just say "to each his own". I think abortion is one of the most sinister forms of murder. There's nothing wrong with such pictures being published. They certainly aren't going to make people WANT to have an abortion so if they save even one life then it's worth it.

AnitaKnapp and DinoFlintstone like this.
  5. DinoFlintstone

Well said. Word for word perfect. :euro:

Mirage likes this.
  6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I personally don't approve of abortion. However, the whole 'shock' tactic of throwing out images of aborted fetuses pisses me off far worse.

At least once a year anti-abortion people show up at Ohio State and set up crap somewhere on campus complete with giant images of aborted fetuses, they have billboard trucks driving around campus with images of the same, and they accost you should you get within ten feet of them on the way to class to shove even more images in your face. I honestly can't see this tactic working on anyone, especially since it pisses of a good chunk of people that agree with them (every person I've talked to that disagrees with abortion hates these asses as well).

7. DinoFlintstone

It does work, and knowing the true value of 'life' even if just one person is saved, then it's worth it.

Look at natural disasters that bury whole towns. The world will flock there to see who they can save. They'll spend millions, even if they can just save one more person. Look at Coastguards, they'll spend 10's of 1000's of pounds, dollars or whatever currency just to save one single soul [SOS] so they effort that so called 'Pro lifers' go to is small in comparison, but the result [saving a life] is priceless.

8. Mirage

See there's a part of me (the part that gets angry when I think about abortion) that says go for it (the in your face approach), but honestly it only makes people mad. Even in the article in the OP the pictures were separate links and not just automatically there for you to see.

I've gone to and organized a number of protests myself and I steer clear of the people who go with the guerrilla protesting approach. While the pictures are a true representation of abortion, it's not the tone that will get people to really take a step back and think. Instead it just makes them hate you.

Sometimes a more "less cuddly" approach can be taken, but even then I don't think showing such pictures as a form of protest benefits the cause at all.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Thats a very simplistic view. I bet a lot of mothers would happily argue against you.

Everything should recieve dignity in death.

As to why kill them, thats not for me to decide but a conscientious decision for the mother that could be based around an assortment of reasons.

Why would it be the same as showing apicture of a tumor?

That would be a very shallow view of abortion if thats all you can compare it too.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  10. Mirage

I was playing devil's advocate there. I don't personally think they are the same but I've found that most people who argue for "choice" do not think it's an actual human being being killed. So in that case wouldn't it be fair to say that it's the same as showing pictures of any medical procedure? Removing a kidney or whatnot?