• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New York City murder map

viLky

ykLiv
New York City Homicides Map - The New York Times

Pretty cool, shows the location of all murders since 2003. You can also group them by age, race, gender, etc

Before I clicked on the link I was stereotyping The Bronx as having the most murders, and, well... check for yourself. Also, I was stereotyping the race of the person and I was expecting one race and got it. Same with sex - expected it to be 99% male and got close to that.

This map is very teachable about the world we live in. Very interesting and an eye opener.

What did you think when you saw what you saw and when you clicked the different groups by age, race and gender?

Twitch

Registered Member
Wasn't surprised by any of these, except gender of victim.

For some reason I thought there would be more women, for cheating or something along those lines.

Impact

V.I.P.
I expected there to be more female victims so was surprised that males were the majority. I'm also surprised that there are so many under 18's, just wow.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Wow... so much for not issuing CCL's... damn those law abiding citizens going around breaking the law :rolleyes:

Seriously tho, interesting map.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It was interesting to see that the demographics for the victims and the demographics for the perpetrators were very similar across the board. It seems significant, but I'm not entirely sure what it signifies... :rolleyes:

viLky

ykLiv
It was interesting to see that the demographics for the victims and the demographics for the perpetrators were very similar across the board. It seems significant, but I'm not entirely sure what it signifies... :rolleyes:
I think we all know what it signifies, but we don't want to say it since we might be labeled racist if we do.

Another thought would be that there is a high population of that particular race in that area, and thus, that's why the statistics are so high in that demographic. Makes sense.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Wow... so much for not issuing CCL's... damn those law abiding citizens going around breaking the law :rolleyes:

Seriously tho, interesting map.
NYC has one of the lowest per capita murder rates of any city (250,000+) in the country.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think we all know what it signifies, but we don't want to say it since we might be labeled racist if we do.

Another thought would be that there is a high population of that particular race in that area, and thus, that's why the statistics are so high in that demographic. Makes sense.
Well, I'd imagine a lot of it is gang-on-gang violence, and since the gangs have a certain composition, it makes sense that the perpetrators would be similar to the victims. On the other hand, that doesn't explain why people unaffiliated with gangs also more or less fit the same demographic.

Also, I wasn't just talking about the racial similarities, but the gender and age ones too.