• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New species of deep sea creatures discovered

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Marine scientists have hailed the discovery of four new species of sea creature in deep ocean waters off the coast of Scotland.

Four new species of deep sea creatures discovered off Scottish coast | The Raw Story
I'm always fascinated about new discoveries of life. Just shows we really don't know everything about this planet. Glad we hadn't already destroyed them and precautions are going to be taken to protect them.

One thing that stood out for me in this story is these animals evolved around a cold water vent that released methane and other hydrocarbon gases. Those gases would kill us but yet life formed there. So maybe some of the planets that are mostly methane could have life on them too.

Do new discoveries get your attention?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've heard it said before that there are a lot more undiscovered species in the ocean than on land. Considering the sheer vastness of the oceans, that's not hard to believe at all. This discovery does sound very interesting and kind if like a big deal. They are hoping to make even more new discoveries of species based on this find. That's really amazing.

I'm no expert in these things, but I do like learning about new species found. It amazes me every time when someone finds something new that's been here forever but we never knew about.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The oceans are so much harder to explore than land so it doesn't surprise me they are still finding new species. Some parts of the ocean are so deep we may never know everything there is to know about it or at least not until new technology becomes available.

Not long ago they found a fish that was suppose to be extinct. I wish I could remember what it was called.