New Professional Sports?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mirage, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

We're so used to the sports we already watch, but do you think there will be any new sports that become as big as Basketball, Football, Soccer, Baseball, etc?

Basketball and American Football are actually fairly new compared to some other sports that have been around for ages it seems. Do you think we'll see any new sports become huge in the next 50 years?

Are there any up and coming sports you think could really take off soon?

Discuss. :)

2. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I just hope AFL would be a world's sport too.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I'd like to see tennis get popular. I enjoy watching tennis a lot.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If you can consider it a sport professional gaming will get pretty big within the next 50 years.

5. Mirage

I don't think tennis could ever get that much more popular. It's pretty popular as it is. I don't see it ever being anywhere nearly as big as Football or Basketball and some of those.

I'm talking mostly about professional team based sports. Tennis is really more about the individual, which is why it can't ever be as big as team based sports. People like to unite behind a team and watch them battle it out.

Maybe that's just me but it does seem that the team based sports are the most popular ones by far.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah, that's true. I still wouldn't mind some more tennis matches being televised though. That's all I really want.

As for teams, I can't think of any that could potentially be big. I don't consider hockey or soccer to be popular in the States, so they would be next in line.

7. padd

padd Registered Member

Being canadian, i wanna know if hockey is more popular than soccer in the US.

MMA has been getting more popular during the past decade, but i dont think any major sport will overun the nfl,mlb,nhl or nba anytime soon.. the only other team sports that come to mind are lacrosse and soccer, but thier leagues are either to poor or lack attendence.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think MMA will get more popular, too. However, I also see massive controversey surrounding it as it becomes more popular. We'll see more of these soft fruity people claiming that we're becoming cave people again.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Soccer is definitely on the rise in the United States, and seeing how popular it is all around the world, there's no reason to think it won't eventually surpass hockey in this country.

10. Mirage

I would have to agree with that. For the most part soccer is identical to hockey in concept, minus the ice and with a bigger playing area. I'm not really sure why soccer isn't very big right now in the US. I guess I wouldn't really watch it but it seems like the type of sport that the US would like.

But this thread is also meant for talking about completely new sports that haven't really taken off yet at all. Do you think we'll see new sports that we haven't heard about yet rise to popularity?