• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New Pope

nman77

Registered Member
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany. Now known as Pope Benedict XVI. Pretty historic event.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Why do the popes change their names? I'm sure it's tradition, but maybe someone could explain it.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I couldnt explain it, unless I actually looked it up.

Benidict the 16th... I can see alot of jokes about the name he chose...

This Pope might not last that long as he is already in his 70's... BUT he was the personal assistant to Pope John Paul II, so I dont think things will change much, even though some people are up in arms about his controversial decisions

nman77

Registered Member
They chose their name based on former popes and their philosiphies and ideas. For example, Benedict XVI is going to go the same style route as Benedict XV.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
ok then... so I guess the next relevant question would be, does anyone here know exactly WHAT kind of style each of the names stand for and what is likely to come from this "Benedict" fellow?

Hopefully it won't be TOO incredibly extreme such that we'll have to call him BeneDICK!!!

Get it? Like DICKtator???...... :ho:

Pianobone

Registered Member
I find it hilariously ironic that the last pope was a Pole and the new pope is a German.

*ahem- Third Reich- cough * cough*

Sword_Hunter

Registered Member
I think that the new pope is one of a kind lol. And I think that it is resonable to change their name. Anyway the pope is really wwonderful and the ring that he wore is just COOL.lol. Well thats all I gotta say about the pope.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I was listening to the news last night, and they made the comment that he didnt want to be the "New Pope".. I found that quite funny.