New MLB Union eyes added playoff games

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

God you scared the crap outta me. I thought they were adding more teams to the playoffs or something stupid like that.

A 7 game series in the first round is perfect...I 100% agree with that decision.

3. Babe_Ruth

I would of been so pissed if they added more teams to the playoffs, that's one thing that I really enjoy about baseball playoffs is that only four teams from each league can make the playoffs. Makes it way more exciting.

But on the down side being a Jays fan it sucks lol.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It's funny that you enjoy having so many teams in the playoffs in other sports then.

Personally I think that the fewer games there are the more intense and exciting the series is and has a greater chance for upsets, so I like best of 5 over best of 7, but this is definitely better than adding more playoff teams.

5. Millz

I think that since baseball only invites 8 teams and the season is sooo long that upsets should be avoided if possible. I would give the more talented teams an edge, so to speak.

The best teams win in baseball...I like that.

6. Babe_Ruth

Personally I think Baseball is different from other sports, it's true that I prefer having eight teams in the playoffs from each league in Hockey and Basketball, but I believe the reason is because I'm use to it. I know it's a poor excuse but that's the way I see it.

I know a lot of people don't think the Hockey season or basketball season is meaningfull/competitive because there's so many teams that make it to the playoffs, but in my opinion it still is.

7. Major

If you want to avoid upsets, why not do a two team playoff? Just take the best team from each league and put them in the World Series. When you play so many games in the regular season it shouldn't be hard to tell who the best teams are.

And the best teams do not always win in baseball. Your 2006 Cardinals were 83-78 in the regular season. That is the very definition of mediocre. It is the second worst record of a World Series champion ever.

8. Millz

Well I suppose I don't want to 100% remove the possibility that an upset can occur. The playoffs are a crap shoot in the general sense; I just don't understand why two rounds would be 7 games series' and another goes for 5 games.

That Cardinal team was an enigma. We got lucky that we got 100% heathly by the time the playoffs started. It seemed like everything came together at the right time.

I dont think it makes much business sense to only have 2 teams make the playoffs in baseball. The wild card was implemented to allow for more competition and keep fans interested for a long period of time. I wouldnt change that. Once you've got the best 8 I dont mind a longer playoff series...let the best team win.

Or, in some instances, the hottest team win.

9. Major

I agree with you that the rounds shouldn't be different lengths. Either make them all five games or all seven games. However, I disagree that a seven game series does a better job of determining the better team.

Think about it. In a best of five you need to win three games. If you win three games in a best of seven you are up 3-2, 3-1, or 3-0 and odds are you are going to win the series anyway. When a series goes to a game 7 it is safe to say neither team is better than the other. The team who wins game 7 could just as easily lose games 8 and 9 if it were a best of 9 series.

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

More games will, overall, remove the random factor, and the better team will be more likely to win. A team can get hot for a few games; that's not a big deal in baseball, but it's half the season in football. Playoffs in general are more luck based, because there's less of them.

That said, a couple more games won't make that much difference in that regard.