• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New Mexico bars unvaccinated students from schools

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
One of New Mexico’s largest public school districts, spurred by a measles outbreak that has infected about 100 people in California, will start barring unvaccinated students from class unless they have a valid state exemption, the head of the school board said on Friday.

New Mexico bars unvaccinated students from schools after California measles outbreak
Seems some states are going to make it harder to attend school without being vaccinated while others are loosening their restrictions. I'm not sure the states should allow exemptions unless for some reason the kid has a condition that would make getting a vaccination dangerous.

Another thing I found interesting is that the California outbreak was started by someone from outside the US that was visiting Disneyland. That just shows you how venerable we are to diseases from other countries. Thankfully measles isn't deadly in most cases.

Thoughts?

dDave

V.I.P.
Regardless of how strict the rules get, there are still legitimate reasons not to get vaccinations. I don't think it's right to force people to get vaccinations.

I suspect we're about to have a debate on this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Measles isn't that bad for most, I've had them, but some kids do become ill enough to hospitalized, some die. What if we were talking about something more serious that we vaccinate our kids for like polio?

Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. In 1980, before widespread vaccination, measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.
The disease remains one of the leading causes of death among young children globally, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine. Approximately 145 700 people died from measles in 2013 – mostly children under the age of 5.

WHO | Measles
I have a feeling most of these deaths were in poor countries.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I have a feeling most of these deaths were in poor countries.
Where they couldn't afford it.

If you don't vaccinate, your kid shouldn't be allowed in public schools, where we've actually ELIMINATED some of these illnesses that have killed people in the past. There is no good reason to not vaccinate that outweighs the potential problems. Personally, I think it's akin to child abuse if you refuse to vaccinate your kids against at minimum, the most basic illnesses that we've had under control for some years now.

The thing people need to remember, is that the most recent anti-vax movement started from research conducted by one man who was later found out to be a fraud and a liar and had his findings revoked for being total bullshit.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree that unvaccinated children should be barred from attending public schools. Otherwise, nobody should be forced to be vaccinated. Basically, what Merc said.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Where they couldn't afford it.

If you don't vaccinate, your kid shouldn't be allowed in public schools, where we've actually ELIMINATED some of these illnesses that have killed people in the past. There is no good reason to not vaccinate that outweighs the potential problems. Personally, I think it's akin to child abuse if you refuse to vaccinate your kids against at minimum, the most basic illnesses that we've had under control for some years now.

The thing people need to remember, is that the most recent anti-vax movement started from research conducted by one man who was later found out to be a fraud and a liar and had his findings revoked for being total bullshit.
I agree. Granted I think the jury is still out in regards to the claim they can cause things such as autism, the fact of the matter is we have been able to control many illnesses, some of which could be fatal, for years now.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
That's the problem though, this whole autism scare was entirely based on report that has since been debunked and written off as nonsensical garbage. There's actually no leg for anti-vaxxers to stand on anymore yet the stink of their beliefs is lingering.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
These vaccination exemptions will include all vaccinations. Can you imagine kids getting polio again? Just because we haven't seen polio in the US in 30 years doesn't mean it won't return if we don't vaccinate. All it would take is one traveler from a country that doesn't vaccinate to get it started again.

I think its silly not to get your kid vaccinated and you are putting them in harms way if you don't. I don't think kids should be allowed to attend public school unless they get them even if their religion is against it.

The anti-vaxxers will keep claiming vaccinations will harm kids even if it has been debunked. I have to wonder what they think the disease they are vaccinating against will do.