• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New Member Incentives?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I have realized a lot lately that our new member turnover rate is very very small.

We rarely keep new members for more than a month, and if they post after a month they usually disappear as fast as they appear!

Is there some way we can provide incentives for new members to stay?

Impact

V.I.P.
Right now I think it has a lot to do with the forum issues. I know if I was a newbie and had no ties to this place, i'd try to find somewhere else that worked properly

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I actually agree. The thing is, though, I had no ties to GF, and I stayed? Maybe its a personal decision, but it only makes sense that more people at least try to stay. The forum issues don't help...

shelgarr

Registered Member
I don't know about incentives, but I can certainly understand some of the turn-offs while a member is trying to establish themself. Maybe that plays a part? Maybe noobs can have a designated spot of their own (besides Intro) where they can express their objective for joining and maybe answer a set of other basic questions. It can have a really attention-getting name to entice them to go in. Something kind of like "under the microscope" does for regulars. Moderators can actually solicit noobs within a few days of their joining. It feels good to actually see their login as the title of a thread.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
I actually agree. The thing is, though, I had no ties to GF, and I stayed? Maybe its a personal decision, but it only makes sense that more people at least try to stay. The forum issues don't help...
The issues weren't as bad when you first joined. Other then forum speed, everything was working properly back then, including the Chat Indicator which is a big thing we've all been bitching about lately.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't see a big deal with the forum issues. I don't think new members have noticed the forum issues which are not very noticeable now. As long as the forum is running at a normal speed [which is] than I'm sure newbies are very ok with that.
If they don't stick around, it's not because of the forum "issues" . That's for sure.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It depends on the way you view GF as to whether it has issues or not. A lot of the slowness issues I was experiencing a lot of other people weren't because of the way they clicked on new threads vs. the way I did it.

So yes, there are still major issues that need to be worked out, and I can see why some people don't stay because of them.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
So yes, there are still major issues that need to be worked out, and I can see why some people don't stay because of them.
The thing is that we know details [about the issues] that newbies don't know. I'm sure if I were a newbie I wouldn't notice any thing.
The speed is running good, the threads load good, the chat without videos works fine...and so on.
What does a newbie want more?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
The thing is that we know details [about the issues] that newbies don't know. I'm sure if I were a newbie I wouldn't notice any thing.
The speed is running good, the threads load good, the chat without videos works fine...and so on.
What does a newbie want more?
Sometimes they load good. I would select threads to open in a new tab from my user cp...or from a forum itself. If you still have that open, then it may take ages to load until you actually close it. How would a noob know to do that, if they viewed the forum in that manner? To me, it's common to view it that way...to someone else maybe not.

The reason why I haven't been posting is due to that very thing, until Danny told me a way to work around it.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Now on another subject, what if the issues aren't what is shooing people away?

Contests? VIP for a winner? I dunno...