New low on GF?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wade8813, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Well, it seems that today is a new low on GF (for the few months I've been here at least).

There's been a lot of complaining about being "Rick Rolled". People are now refusing to click on anything, which means that people posting legitimate things can't use spoiler tags, can't post links, etc. You can try to solve it by hovering the mouse over the link, but that only works if the url describes what is being linked to.

At first, I didn't see what the big deal was. A link in a new tab appeared, you hit Ctrl+W, and close the tab.

But today, things went to a whole new level. The link didn't have any indicators that I could see, and instead of just opening a new window, it opened a tab that took over the entire window, causing it to dance around the screen. It couldn't be closed via hotkeys or Xing the tab, because if you tried to, a box with the lyrics would just pop up. The only way to close it that I could find was to hit Ctrl + Alt + Del, and closing the entire window (and thus losing anything else you had in other tabs).

Having a youtube link open in a new tab is a harmless prank. But when it takes over your computer like that, it's crossing a line. People could lose a lot of work because of that.

Blueyes likes this.

2. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

If you turn off ActiveX it will prevent the window from jumping around. You'll still have to click through the lyrics, but that can be done rather easily.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Thats not a GF specific thing. Thats just a bastard Rick Roll from that smouch.net site. In the future just make sure to avoid anything that says "smouch" in it. :hah: lets not blame it on GF! as they say dont kill the messanger!

4. Wade8813

Good to know. Although there could be dozens of non-smouch links that do the same things.

And while it may not have originated with GF, it was still a GF member who posted it.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

lmao and it was a GF member that introduced me to lemon party, tubgirl, & goatse... lol but I dont blame GF for that :hah:

and yes there are others, but the smouch one is downright malicious! when I've clicked that link the only way I've been able to get rid of it is by shutting my comp down. But the others that are similar just go through a certain amount of prompts and then they go away.

6. Wade8813

I don't know what lemon party, tubgirl, & goatse are.

But my point is that anyone who posts a link to something that takes over your computer is just as much to blame as whoever made the thing in the first place.

7. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

NEW LOW! (35839 ft below sea level)

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah that's not GF. That's a completely third party site. I've been there myself and it's ridiculous.

9. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

For stuff like that which likes to move your window around and stuff, firefox is your bestest friend. No ActiveX. ActiveX is like AIDS for your internet.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Wade, you're a never ending source of amusement.

That window stops dancing after about ten seconds and then when the dialog boxes show up, you just hold down enter until the lyrics finish and the window closes. Of course, if you didn't get so flustered and angry at first, you'd have seen that.

:)