• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New iPhone App to 'Cure' Gays

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
:lol:

Anger at app to 'cure' gays
March 21, 2011 - 2:43PM

Apple has come under fire for approving an ''app'' that offers guidance on how homosexual people can be ''cured'' and convert to heterosexuality.

The ''gay cure'' application, to be used on Apple's hand-held devices, was created by Exodus International, a religious organisation which believes in teaching ''freedom from homosexuality through prayer and practicing conversion therapy''.

It is offered free on Apple's iTunes online shop and was given a ''4+'' rating, meaning it is not considered to contain objectionable content.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Gay activists quickly gathered more than 37,000 signatures for an online petition asking Apple to drop the software.

The petition on the website change.org said the Christian group was using ''scare tactics, misinformation, stereotypes and distortions'' of gay life, and promoting ''the use of so-called 'reparative therapy' to 'change' the sexual orientation of their clients, despite the fact that this form of 'therapy' has been rejected by every major professional medical organisation''.
Christian logic shows itself again.
Seriously though, this is pathetic. I can't believe Apple would approve something so archaic.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
There's nothing wrong with the app. It's meant for people who can't accept homosexuality as a lifestyle, and view it as a disease. They're simply putting an App on the App Store, it's not like they're forcing it down anyone's throat. I don't see why anyone has a genuine problem with it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Are you kidding? I've never seen a gay person willingly take to one of these types of programs... EVER. And I have been closely following these sort of things for years now. These are used by friends and family of gay people (usually teens) and it is most often forced upon them by those who want them to fit into the normal Christian lifestyle. There are thousands of unhappy people around the world who went through these "programs" to turn them straight. They are now still gay, some of them unhappily married in a straight relationship. People have committed suicide because of this very thing and the fact that Apple supported it is disgusting.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Christian logic shows itself again.
Seriously though, this is pathetic. I can't believe Apple would approve something so archaic.
I'm not sure what logic has to do with anything (and would like to point out that I haven't seen any evidence that Christians are any worse at logic than other groups of people. For that matter, the most logical person I've ever met is a gay Christian).

According to "every major professional medical organization", homosexuality is a spectrum - it's not a matter of being gay/not gay, but rather how gay/not gay a person is. Which seems to imply that a person who is somewhere on the gay side but has heterosexual impulses as well, and would like to not be gay might theoretically benefit from treatment (although it seems unlikely an app could provide such treatment).

Are you kidding? I've never seen a gay person willingly take to one of these types of programs... EVER. And I have been closely following these sort of things for years now. These are used by friends and family of gay people (usually teens) and it is most often forced upon them by those who want them to fit into the normal Christian lifestyle. There are thousands of unhappy people around the world who went through these "programs" to turn them straight. They are now still gay, some of them unhappily married in a straight relationship. People have committed suicide because of this very thing and the fact that Apple supported it is disgusting.
I'm fairly confident that there are people who voluntarily do this - that's just the nature of humans.

And it seems to me that the problem is people being forced moreso than the "treatment" itself.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's the fact that they call it a "Treatment" at all. That word alone suggest that it's a treatment for a disease which is a very gross idea and in today's modern society should not exist.

And I know that there are many Christian LGTB people out there, in fact one of my best friends is a Christian who is a lesbian, I only pointed out that it was a bit of fail in this particular case because it was a Christian group who created this ridiculous app. And honestly.... there are not many "willing" participants in something like this. I can basically garuntee that. There would probably be a few but they would be way out numbered by those who are forced by their family, their friends and their churches to dire consequences.

Also, did you not read the article? If you think the treatment isn't a problem then that means you support false scare tactics and misinformation to forcibly change a persons view on life. That is basically how cults form... it's no different to brainwashing really, and when that participant is unwilling it's so shocking that I think it should be illegal.

Last edited:

fractal

Crouton, not all people understand that homosexuality is not a disease. They might want to use the App. It might be a form of therapy to those who believe in it. If they think they can be 'cured', let them make their own decision.

There are many sites that want to 'cure' homosexuality. If you can't ban them, how can you ban an App?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
A form of therapy to those who believe in what? That homosexuality is a disease? I can't believe you people.

Oh well, at least there are good people in the world. They got over 37,000 signatures against this monstrosity of human nature in less than a day, and I hear that number has gone way up since then. There still is hope, even amongst this gross stupidity.

fractal

Sorry Crouton, I'm not one of those people who believe that it's a disease, but you have to deal with alternative views. You simply can't legally resort to forcing people to take down content that says it's a disease/

If you can't take websites down, how can you take down an app?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Maybe not all websites use the word 'cure'. That's the biggest issue here. Who knows, there probably are some gay people out there who want to become good Christians and follow these anti-gay rules. I doubt there are many but to each their own. The worst part of this is that they use the word CURE. That is a major issue. What do you cure? You cure disease, illness, sickness. Homosexuality is none of these things yet this 'app' is suggest it is just by the title alone. This is wrong.
I bet you any money that Apple will have this app taken off the market within the week due to sheer peer pressure from the thousands who have already complained worldwide.

By the way, I personally think all those websites should be taken down as well.

fractal

Personally, I think those websites and that App should be left alone because people have a choice between using them and not using them. It doesn't come bundled with iOS. If it's so offensive, people can simply avoid it.