• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New Heartbleed Bug

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
BOSTON (Reuters) – Security experts warn there is little Internet users can do to protect themselves from the recently uncovered “Heartbleed” bug that exposes data to hackers, at least not until vulnerable websites upgrade their software.

Researchers have observed sophisticated hacking groups conducting automated scans of the Internet in search of Web servers running a widely used Web encryption program known as OpenSSL that makes them vulnerable to the theft of data, including passwords, confidential communications and credit card numbers.

There is little Internet users can do to protect themselves from troubling ‘Heartbleed’ bug | The Raw Story
I can't believe this has gone undetected for two years but at least they know about it now and hopefully will get this problem fixed. Which when the get this one fixed there will be another one at least that's the way it seems to go.

Hope no one on here has been hurt by this.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
There seems to be contradicting advice on this bug that is going around. I was looking around and cannot see any websites that have been compromised or told me that they are close to be compromised. Some are telling us to change our passwords, others say we shouldn't overreact.

I have changed a few of my passwords just to be certain but in one article I read my main email provider is the most secure. This seems to me to have been blown out of proportion without the right information being given.

dDave

V.I.P.
OpenSSL applies to every https page if I'm not mistaken.

I received an email from the IT administrator at my university warning of this security threat. Now, they send out a lot of emails warning of various things such as phishing emails and the schools private network being hacked, they are making a big deal out of this one though.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
See that's the thing, people like Facebook claim to have already patched this whilst Google are saying they believe they have but they are unsure and like I say other people have said to not overreact.

dDave

V.I.P.
See that's the thing, people like Facebook claim to have already patched this whilst Google are saying they believe they have but they are unsure and like I say other people have said to not overreact.
Well, we shouldn't "overreact" to anything, merely react. ;)

I hear you though. It's strange how some IT professionals seem to think this is a really big deal while others hardly think anything of it. I do think it's a good idea to be on the safe side though.

The scary thing is that you know there are TONS of other security holes out there in many different programs that we use, they are yet to be discovered but the holes are already there.