New Federal Marijuana Policy

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
The Obama administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers as long as they conform to state laws, under new policy guidelines to be sent to federal prosecutors Monday.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state laws.

The new policy is a significant departure from the Bush administration, which insisted it would continue to enforce federal anti-pot laws regardless of state codes.

[...]

Attorney General Eric Holder said in March that he wanted federal law enforcement officials to pursue those who violate both federal and state law, but it has not been clear how that goal would be put into practice.

A three-page memo spelling out the policy is expected to be sent Monday to federal prosecutors in the 14 states, and also to top officials at the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The memo, the officials said, emphasizes that prosecutors have wide discretion in choosing which cases to pursue, and says it is not a good use of federal manpower to prosecute those who are without a doubt in compliance with state law.

[...]

Shortly after Obama took office, DEA agents raided four dispensaries in Los Angeles, prompting confusion about the government's plans.
-source

Good news for both advocates of states rights, and those who oppose the prohibition on marijuana.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Yes, let's leave the L.A. dispensaries alone; I've seen with my own eyes that they're a force for good. A lot of really ill people come out of those stores in high spirits and absolutely nobody's being harmed.

You're one ballsy-ass mofo, Mr. President, Sir. I'll be voting for you again.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
This is one of the few thing I actually am happy that Obama is doing :)

We need to legalize all drugs just like they did with alcohol back in the 30's.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is a small step in the right direction. Now more states need to legalize the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and then hopefully that will lead to it being decriminalized.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well, I've always been one that's big on state's rights, so in that respect I have no problem with it. This is something I can agree with Obama on.

Twitch

Registered Member
This is a small step in the right direction. Now more states need to legalize the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and then hopefully that will lead to it being decriminalized.

Marijuana is decriminalized. In Massachusetts, at least.

Although we don't use it for medicinal purposes, which is strange..

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Far less harmful to society than alcohol. Over reaching federal govt. enforcement. Ought to be federally decriminalized. Am I becoming a libertarian?
------
Legalize it, tax it, fund hippy health care. Hippies buy more dope and fund their own health care! Ha ha, I must be high!

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I heard Penn Jillette speak to a group of libertarians and he said - Getting support really comes down to convincing the gun nuts that the dope smokers are ok and getting the dope smokers to realize the guns are ok.

I'm for personal use clauses. If you want to grow a plant or two and smoke it, I could care less.