New dog question

Discussion in 'Pets' started by StroShow, Feb 16, 2010.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Hey everyone! I went to take a walk with my new puppy and he didn't want to walk...he dragged his feet. Is that because he's shy/afraid?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

More than likely. I know a lot of owners who dont use a leash in the early days, the theory is the pup wants to follow you, not walk with you. Its pack heirarchy, you are forcing it to the front of the pack wher it does not belong. Its instinct is to follow, copy and learn.

For the first few walks go somewhere safe and walk without a leash, the puppy should follow a few yards behind you. Assuming the puppy is not too old and the area is large enough you can be safe it wont run away. As it gets bigger and bolder it will start walking closer, confident in its ability to read your body language.

...next stage is usually ankle biting... where they find great amusment swinging from your trouser legs;)

3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Yes probably. How old is he? have you put him on leash before that? you might need to get him used to the leash in stages.

4. StroShow

He's 4 months old. I dont know much about his past because the breeder didn't say much. When the leash is on he hates it but he'll follow you when he doen't have the leash on, but I haven't tried it outside the house.

5. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

This is normal behavior and will subside once he / she gets used to his / her leash.

What you can do to help him overcome his fear (while you're around) is put the leash on him and allow him to walk around the house / backyard with it on, he'll eventually get used to it and become more confidant when it comes to walking with the leash on. :)

6. StroShow

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's pretty much dead on. Another question I'd like to ask is. He was given a Advantage Multi and the breeder said not give him a bath. I was wondering when we can give him one??

7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I wouldn't recommend giving him a bath any time soon unless he's stinky. Dogs really don't need to be bathed all that often, depending on their breed, and over-bathing them will dry out their skin and make it itchy.

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Usually 2 or 3 days, once the chemical smell subsides. As he is only 4 months you can be sure he does not have much of a past and learning everything for the first time.