• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New Crypto-RansomWare virus

Impaired

Registered Member
From our good pals, the Russians. Bad Rabbit pretends to be an Adobe Flash update.

Any time you get a message regarding an update immediately close all browser windows. If the update is for Flash then go to adobe.com and install the Flash player from there. Never trust the pop-up notice. Also, you anti-virus does not speak to you. If your browser starts telling you you have a virus, CLOSE IT. If you can't close it, restart your computer.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
When it comes to blocking flash I have an add-on installed that keeps it from auto playing. I think all the Adobe products are vulnerable because they're popular. I choose to replace Adobe Reader with something like Nitro Reader and turning off javascript inside the application. Some of the bugs gain access through javascript, so I block it when possible. I've used Nitro Reader for years and really like it. I also back up my files religiously.

If I remember correctly from another thread, you're an IT guy. Will something like VMware or Sandboxie protect against this ransomware?

Last edited:

Impaired

Registered Member
When it comes to blocking flash I have an add-on installed that keeps it from auto playing. I think all the Adobe products are vulnerable because they're popular. I choose to replace Adobe Reader with something like Nitro Reader and turning off javascript inside the application. Some of the bugs gain access through javascript, so I block it when possible. I've used Nitro Reader for years and really like it. I also back up my files religiously.

If I remember correctly from another thread, you're an IT guy. Will something like VMware or Sandboxie protect against this ransomware?
Yes, network engineer, been doing this forever.

VMWare is awesome, but if you run a Windows VM, then it is still as vulnerable as any other Windows machine. The risks are in the Operating System or programs installed.

Sandboxing is good, but usually requires a firewall or something to do that.

Seriously, just NOT CLICKING WITHOUT THINKING is the answer to most virus issues.