• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New cigarette warning labels in the US

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
See the new cigarette warning labels - CNN.com

The United States is going the Canada route in terms of putting the ill on packs of tobacco, although this was known for quite a while. The images have just been released(which can be scene in the link above).

I was wondering what you guys thought about putting these type of images on cigarette packs? Are you for it or against it? Do you believe it does have an effect on someone smoking?

Thoughts?

Xeilo

V.I.P.
We have had this in Australia for awhile now, I don't think it really stops anyone tho. In Australia they are trying to get blank packages now will the quit labels all over them lol.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
We've had that for a while here. There hasn't been a poll to correlate any decrease of consumption based on the images. However, it seems more like taking away responsibility from cigarette manufacturers because no smoker will now say "you gave me cancer" as they willingly bought a product that actually said "smoking might give you cancer". On the other hand, I wonder if these labels increases the liability of manufacturers because they willingly produce and sell products that they agree to be dangerous to others. :hmm:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
More dumb government make work with no effect but massive cost legislation. That's what bureaucrats waste their time on to justify their salaries. We all know that they "studied" the issue, debated the messages and images ad nasium, and now after wasting the taxpayers money they will force the manufacturers of a legal product to bear the expense of changing their packaging to appease some taxpayer funded bureaucrats.

Have they stopped smoking in any of the countries that have these types of labels? No. Will it stop smoking in the US, No. Will it cost the industry a bunch of money, Yes. But it seems that is the goal anyway, to punish Phillip Morris.

If people did stop smoking then what would the bureaucrats do about the lost revenue? Who makes more on a pack of Marlboros? Phillip Morris or the government?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
We have had this in Australia for awhile now, I don't think it really stops anyone tho. In Australia they are trying to get blank packages now will the quit labels all over them lol.
Yeah we have had them for ages in Aus, I'm so used to it now. I don't even remember a time when there used to be cigarette packages without grotesque images of disease on them.

I don't really care about it either way. One part of my thinks it's good because the images may turn people off smoking, but the other part just doesn't care.
More people who are idiotic enough to smoke means more people dying, which means less people on the planet which is a good thing. If people want to pay a lot of money to slowly kill themselves in disgusting ways then it's up to them.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I guess there's this idea that some don't know about the dangers????????? If such naive people exist than no picture is going to penetrate that head-buried-in-the-sand mentality. It's a stupid idea.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I think, at best, it may help prevent a small number from future generations from smoking, which would be great! However, I don't think it is going to decrease the number of current smokers significantly. There is no lack of education in the US about how cigarettes impact you and those around you, so really it is just emphasizing what people already know. Although, that never hurts.

I do think the ones that use guilt would be the most effective. Most smokers aren't going to give into the shock value of what could happen to them, but feeling bad about what they do to others would have a deeper impact, I would think.

I really would love to see ones laying guilt for smoking while pregnant, the number of women who do makes me sick. I understand how addictive it is, but if there is ever inspiration to quit, that is it.

So, really I think any measure that may prevent even a small number from starting or help some people who are already smokers, quit, is worth forgoing. I'm for it.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
More dumb government make work with no effect but massive cost legislation. That's what bureaucrats waste their time on to justify their salaries. We all know that they "studied" the issue, debated the messages and images ad nasium, and now after wasting the taxpayers money they will force the manufacturers of a legal product to bear the expense of changing their packaging to appease some taxpayer funded bureaucrats.

Have they stopped smoking in any of the countries that have these types of labels? No. Will it stop smoking in the US, No. Will it cost the industry a bunch of money, Yes. But it seems that is the goal anyway, to punish Phillip Morris.

If people did stop smoking then what would the bureaucrats do about the lost revenue? Who makes more on a pack of Marlboros? Phillip Morris or the government?
This.

Newsflash, smoking cigarettes can lead to lung cancer. What a revelation. If people don't get that by now, I have no idea what to say. I smoked for awhile. I knew the dangers. I did it anyway. I take full responsibility for what MAY happen in the future. Can we quit wasting time and money on pointing out the obvious?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I disagree with SS and CO. Yes, people theoretically know the risks. But advertising DOES work. As much as people like to say it doesn't affect them, the stats say otherwise. This certainly won't make everyone stop, but it will almost certainly have a noticeable effect.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about forcing the companies to put these labels on. I don't know how much it costs them (if anything).

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So, really I think any measure that may prevent even a small number from starting or help some people who are already smokers, quit, is worth forgoing. I'm for it.
This quote from Snap pretty much sums it up for me...if it can help just a few it's worth it. It's not like it's logically disputed anywhere that cigarettes are unhealthy. People have the right to smoke (for me I'd prefer only outdoors or in their own homes), I'm totally good with that, but it's an issue of public health.