• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

News New born tiger cub found dead

Elanor

Registered Member
BBC News - London Zoo newborn Sumatran tiger cub found dead

This is really sad. The Sumatran Tiger cub was the first to be born at London Zoo in 17 years, and was only about 3 weeks old. Keepers think that the cub drowned after being taken outside by the Mother.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is sad news, I wonder if it was an accident or if the mother drowned it on purpose.

I bet they do wish they could turn back time and not let them have access to the pool.

Elanor

Registered Member
The thought crossed my mind that maybe the mother had something to do with it, after all, it is still a wild animal.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is evidence of animals rejecting their new offspring all the time and trying to kill them or they do kill them. Women have killed their babies which is often linked to severe post postpartum depression. Really don't know why an animal couldn't suffer from that too.

Elanor

Registered Member
I have never associated animals with post-partum depression. But I think it is certainly possible that it could be one reason for an animal to reject their young. If the cub had fallen in the water, then I would of thought that the mother would attempt to rescue it, unless she had rejected it.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
There's a thought. Post-partum depression in animals. I don't know so much. Don't animals typically kill the weaker of their offspring for the sake of the others survival? What threat is there in captivity with no predators?