• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

New and Controversial Astros Owner Jim Crane

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So I first heard about this from a funny short blog from Sports Show with Norm MacDonald on Comedy Central's site:

New Houston Astros Owner Is Apparently Really Racist | Sports Show with Norm Macdonald | #SportsShow | Comedy Central

I tried to look up a more legit source and found this from Forbes, a business magazine:

Why Jim Crane Could Become Baseball’s Most Controversial Owner - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes

Apparently his history is sketchy, with allegations of racism, sexism, and war profiteering.

Thoughts on Jim Crane and on the issue in general? In your opinion, if an owner has the money but is racist should he/she be tolerated in MLB?

Personally, if his alleged attitudes and misbehavior are legit I'd hate if he was owning my favorite baseball team. However, I don't really know the rules of what MLB Commish Bud Selig could do in this regard.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I have no idea how much veracity this story has, but if true, this really bothers me. As an Astros fan and as a human being. If there is a history of these kinds of things, evidence to support the allegation, then I don't think MLB should approve the sale. I don't want him owning any team much less the Astros, if true.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I have no idea how much veracity this story has, but if true, this really bothers me. As an Astros fan and as a human being. If there is a history of these kinds of things, evidence to support the allegation, then I don't think MLB should approve the sale. I don't want him owning any team much less the Astros, if true.
Well as far as the "if true" part, I was reading the part of the Forbes' article about the allegations of racism/sexism in hiring and it said that after the claims came out, someone that worked there also ended up corroborating them a few years later. It sounds legitimate.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well as far as the "if true" part, I was reading the part of the Forbes' article about the allegations of racism/sexism in hiring and it said that after the claims came out, someone that worked there also ended up corroborating them a few years later. It sounds legitimate.
That is really messed up. I hate the thought of someone being the victim of a smear campaign, which sometimes happens when someone has done well for himself/herself, and false allegations are made. Too many times I've seen false allegations of sexual harrassment, sexual discrimination, and the like, but most oftentimes these things end up being true.

I don't know what the rules are, but I think Selig owes it to MLB and the fans to do his due diligence and determine how true this is, and not approve the sale if it is.