Nevin Left Dejected

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Vidic15, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

New Zealand Knights coach Paul Nevin was left feeling frustrated and disappointed following his side's 1-0 loss to Perth Glory on Friday.

It was a second straight 1-0 loss for the Knights and their third match in succession in which they had failed to score a goal.

"I am very angry … I am angry for the players rather than at them," Nevin said at a press conference after the match.

Nevin was left dejected when a late Stuart Young strike pinched the points for the visitors after the Knights had controlled proceedings.

"We have dominated the game. We have created enough chances to win two or three games," he said.

"We have had our pocket picks at the final whistle against, no disrespect, a team that didn’t really cause us any problems throughout the game."

Fielding a depleted line-up, Perth boss Ron Smith seemed happy to let his side sit back and soak up the pressure from the constant Knights attack.

Although obviously disappointed with the result, Nevin said this would be a one-off.

"I am sure Baze (Darren Bazeley) and the lads will make sure it doesn't happen again," he said.

"We played some decent football out there, but that's not good enough. It is about winning games."

The Knights have only scored twice in the A-League Pre-Season Cup but Nevin is confident that the goals will come.

"If we weren't creating chances I would be worried," he said.

Dani Rodrigues was the lone man up front for the Knights for the majority of the match and Nevin believed it was the right formula for success.

"I thought we were honestly going to get a goal from the shape we were playing," Nevin said.

"I feel that is a shape that suits us and I think we end up 4-3-3 when we have got possession."

Knights skipper Darren Bazeley expressed the dissatisfaction amongst the players in the changing room after the match

"We are obviously really disappointed. We put a lot into that game. We expected to win tonight," Bazeley said.

"But that's football. We have got to take our chances when they come … (otherwise) stuff like this happens."

Nevin assured the A-League and supporters of the Knights that this was not a sign of things to come for the New Zealand club.

"Have the wheels come off? No they definitely haven't. We are right on it, we just need to finish off our chances and we will be there."