• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Never Donating Blood Again

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I donated blood yesterday morning. I did everything the nurses told me, eat and drink as much as you can, and so i did. Come later that night where I nearly faint at work and can't go today. So donating blood costs me 60 some odd dollars. At least I got to use the coupons they gave me.... And they better use that blood

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Did they put you on awareness about the consequences of donating blood?
Sounds like you had no idea about what probably was going to happen.

On a side note, congrats for your donation. It was very generous of you.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
It sucks that you got the dizzies and lost money on the deal. My daughter also swore that she'd never give blood again, after turning grey and barfing in a wastebasket on our way out of the Red Cross center. Donated blood, of course, is in perpetual short supply and always goes to lifesaving use. I salute your sacrifice! What do you think about donating on a Saturday morning and not smoking any drain cleaner that day?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I donated blood a few weeks ago and played Basketball seven hours later and I was fine, didn't feel weak, didn't faint or anything of that nature. It sucks that you fainted and that you're not able to go to work today, but donating blood is a great deed, and I don't believe you should stop because of this bad experience.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I kind of had the same experience when I was 17 years old. I was giving blood and pretty much went unconscious on the table and according to sources it took them a while to realize I wasn't awake.

So I'll be hard pressed to do it again too. I realize it was ONE experience but it ruined it for me.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I'm not allowed to donate blood but my friends do it all the time (er, as often as you're allowed, I mean) with no such side effects. I don't think any of them have ever felt they were going to faint. Sorry you can't work, that sucks.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
the Red Cross center
Huzzah for the Red Cross! :D

Anyway, MAg, it was probably your own fault. Did you eat prior to the donation, and drink plenty of fluids? (I mean plenty as in "as much fluids as you can possibly drink"?)

You got dizzy because your body experienced a big loss of fluid from your body (the more fluids you lose, the higher the likelihood of going into hypovolemic shock). Drinking a lot of fluid before donating blood prevents your body from feeling the effects. I give blood every four months and I have never suffered from dizziniess or faintness. Before I go to donate, I drink water. When I get to the donation centre, I drink orange juice. I give blood, and when it's done, I sit and I have a cup of tea with a biscuit. The sugar also helps prevent any kind of faintness as it gets into your blood. Then when I get home, I drink regularly to replenish the fluids my body has lost.

Drinking fluids is the key. Also, the fact that you smoke (anything) doesn't help. Smoking can fur your arteries and make it harder for blood to travel through your body. When you lose some of that blood, the process is made all the more difficult.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's a very good chance that was my problem when I did it too Chaos but the problem was nobody instructed me on what to do haha. I was a stupid high school kid who didn't know any better. I was probably not sleeping well, stressed from class and all that. Plus, I did go through stages where I didn't eat very well.

I just think it would have been nice of them to inform us before we did it haha. I can't begin to tell you how scary it is to one second be giving blood and the next thing you know there are people gathered around you, you trying to wake you up. I thought I was dead or something.

It's possible I may consider doing it again; especially now because someone I worked with just got a job with the red cross and might try and force me to come back and do it one time.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Based on recent posts, here's hoping that the variety of intoxicants in your blood doesn't actually kill somebody... :stare: Don't they ask you if you've done any narcotics recently, beforehand?

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Really? I'm surprised. Here, they make you drink something when you arrive and you have to run through a safety checklist (covering health concerns, the blood drop test, etc). They ask you if you've had anything to drink and eat, and they ask if you're doing anything strenuous within the next 6 hours, and once you've finished your donation they tell you to sit down for 10 minutes and have another drink.

I don't give blood through the Red Cross, though (but I am a first aider for them) - I donate through the NHS (National Health Service)
------
Based on recent posts, here's hoping that the variety of intoxicants in your blood doesn't actually kill somebody... :stare: Don't they ask you if you've done any narcotics recently, beforehand?
Yep. They should do. Here, you're asked if you've ever taken non-prescription drugs, if you're a man and you've ever had unprotected sex with another man, if you're a woman and you've ever had unprotected sex (including oral) to a man who has had sex with another man, if you've ever been to numerous countries, and many more. If you answer yes to any of them, you're not allowed to give blood. If you've been out of the country in the last four months, they won't let you donate. Similarly, if you've had a tattoo or other body piercing in the last six months, they won't do it.

Last edited: