Neutrality on religion

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by wyldesykosis, Apr 13, 2007.

1. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

I am neutral on religion because I choose not to make an opinion either way. There is no evidence that I could make a fair judgement on....where is the calculation for me to make?

Also do not use scripture in this thread because the bible isn't credible. The existence of god can't be proven true or false. The bible was written by prophets. These prophets were called speakers of god. That would imply god was speaking to them, which then would imply divine channeling. Since god can't be proven true or false, neither can the divine channeling. The bible holds no credibility because it can't be proven true or false either! Also, it was written by humanity...not god....

Theists can't prove their belief, and atheists can't prove their belief. The reason is because there is no assenting or dissenting proof of god's existence.

Why do some of you believe that it is impossible to hold a neutral standpoint on religion?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Because you either believe or you don't. There's not really a middle point.

3. Agreed. If you aren't religious, if you don't believe there is in fact a higher power, if you don't believe in ANYTHING whatsoever, then you are by default an atheist. It's hard to stay neutral when religion is involved.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Some people will say that they're agnostic, which I don't really buy anymore. Deep down, you either believe or you don't. I think deep down I still believe in God because I was raised Christian, it's just not a part of my life anymore.

5. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

That's bullshit.....lack of belief in god doesn't imply atheism....atheism is the belief there is no god(s).....I don't believe either way....I'm apathetic...

Well...ur speaking with one (apathetic agnostic) right now.....

6. Actually, it isn't bullshit. I bet if you looked up the meaning of atheism it would include not believing in god... If I'm not mistaken that's really all atheism is... Not believing in God... Hmmm... Don't think too hard on that one.

7. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Dictionary definition(s) of the term atheism:

hmmm......do I really need to think hard on this?!

8. Wait a second... You just proved my point.

9. wyldesykosis

wyldesykosis Feral

Evindently, you need some clarification since ur stoned.....

Dictionary definition(s) of the term atheism:

It refers to the belief that god is non-existent....it doesn't say not beleiving in god....

Now...this was my first post on this thread:

Where do I say that I believe god is non-existent?! Where do I say I believe god is existent?!

I don't say either! I am saying it can't be known and I am not going to take a leap of faith in either direction. Belief god exists is an act of faith, and likewise belief god doesn't exist is also an act of faith.

Faith is the belief on an unknowable subject.

Belief is confidence (or trust) in something.

The unkowable is something that can't be proven true or false.

I don't act on faith...I only act on knowledge!

Knowledge is something proven true!

I'm apathetic to faith....I don't take leaps of faith...

10. pikatore

pikatore Registered Member

Saying it can't be known is quite a leap of faith on it's own. You commit to a religion unknowingly by making that assertion. It makes your reasoning no less 'crazier' than mine