Networking Help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nevyrmoore, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I have recently set up a home network with three PCs hard-wired to a wireless ADSL router (wireless access point is off). I have tried to get the three computers to be connected to the same workgroup to enable file sharing and printer sharing, however all three computers seem to think that they are the only ones on the network. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

And just in case it's needed, the router is a D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL Router

2. Mecha

Mecha Guest

According to Google, I am led to believe the router isn't the problem.
    But, just to check: try pinging other computers on the network. If it doesn't work, the problem is:
    1) Firewall
    2) Router/physical wiring

(99% likely numero uno)

If you're certain the firewalls on each machine are not the problem: make sure:
    1) They all have the proper protocols (File and Printer Sharing, Client for Microsoft Networks) enabled.
    A) This also requires that the proper processes must be active on the machines. Lets assume that if you didn't mess around w/ system processes, that they are active

2) Enable Simple File Sharing

3) I assume you've tried rebooting them, waiting 20 min, but if you can't think of anything else, might as well.

~Mecha

3. Nevyrmoore

I haven't checked the firewalls yet. The ping works, and I doubt it's the physical wiring (all three PCs have access to the internet)

Will check these as well

No need to do this - two PCs are running XP Home. However, one PC is running Windows 2000.

4. Nevyrmoore

*pulls coffin out of hole* Well I've decided to dig up this fresh corpse (shouldn't smell too bad) because I have new information.

Two of the PCs appear to be connected (mum and sister). However my PC doesn't seem to be connected to either on the workgroup. The firewall on my PC appears to be okay, and the wiring is okay (if it wasn't, I wouldn't be able to send this). Does anyone have any ideas?

5. Mecha

Mecha Guest

Have you tried turning off your firewall (plus turning off the autostart at boot) then restarting?

~Mecha

6. Nevyrmoore

Yep, tried that, no luck.

Also, off topic, I notice I have the ability to install TCP/IP v6. Should I install it?

7. Mecha

Mecha Guest

No, that shouldn't help anything. At the very least because you don't have an IPv6 router and ISP.

I just reread the thread. So, have you checked the protocols bound to the network device?...

Wait... This PC that doesn't see the other two... Is it the one connected by wireless? If so, then that would very most likely be the problem.

~Mecha

8. Nevyrmoore

I can't check the protocols at the moment, however I will when I get home. Also, all three systems are co0nnected to the router via routers.

9. Mecha

Mecha Guest

Via routers? You mean the ethernet is branched through other routers before it gets to each machine?

~Mecha

10. Nevyrmoore

No, I fucked up. Bad. What I meant to say was that they're all connected to the router via cables. I didn't notice cause I was busy in a lesson.