• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nets to sign Jason Collins

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
The Brooklyn Nets on Sunday will sign center Jason Collins, who will become the first openly gay active player in North America's four recognized major team sports, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
ESPN

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I don't follow basketball at all with the exception of what pops up in my timeline on Twitter, but when I saw this thread title I thought to myself "isn't that the guy who came out last year?" It's good to see that someone's going to sign him.

arock1234

Registered Member
This is a nice story and I'm happy that Collins got a chance. He is a marginal player at best, not forget which probably is the main reason why it has taken so long for him to sign.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
They've put his jersey up for sale in their store which is unheard of for a guy who signs a 10-day contract. Do you think this is a money maker or is the franchise giving him their full support?

Konshentz

Konshentz
They are definitely just cashing in. They also wanted to beat the NFL to it and get more publicity.

VJ_Sportsgeek

yea this is more of a publicity move to be honest. There are alot of more qualified big men out there that they could have chosen, but instead opted for Collins. And nothing against Collin's game, but hes not the guy that you'd look at to play backup mins

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
With Collins, now that he's a part of sports history, I wonder if he'll just retire as soon as he's cut or when the season is done.

I get the sense that he really wanted to be part of history, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Joster

I don't see him contributing a lot except for grabbing a couple rebounds here and there. This was definitely for publicity.