• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nets reach tentative agreement for Carmelo

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Nets and Nuggets reportedly have reached a tentative agreement on a trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey.
The deal is pending Anthony's agreement on a long-term contract extension with the Nets.
The trade would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman to New Jersey, and Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy, Ben Uzoh and four first-round draft picks to Denver.

Denver would then try to unload Murphy's contract on a third team, presumably using one or more of the picks received from New Jersey.
If Anthony turns down the Nets' overtures, the Knicks are expected to be the frontrunners to acquire Anthony before next week's trade deadline.
Report: Nets, Nuggets Reach Tentative Agreement On Carmelo Trade - RealGM Wiretap

These trade talks between the Nuggets and the Nets have been going all season, and I won't believe this actually done till I see it for real, but by many sources out there it seems like a deal has finally been done between the two teams.

If this trade is actually true, then it's a big one.

This is a big risk for the Nets especially if Carmelo doesn't agree to sign an extension with the team and becomes a free agent at season's end. The Nets are giving away a prize rookie in Favors, who in the end might turn out to be a real stud. Should be interesting to see what happens.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I like Favors a lot, and I agree this is definitely a big risk the Nets are taking. I'm just glad he isn't going to the Lakers. As a Spurs fan I didn't want him in the West.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Four 1st round draft picks? If Carmelo doesn't work out for them, then they're kind of screwed. Billups is past his prime, and they're giving up a talented young player in Favors.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Yeah, four first round picks is just insane. I agree Billups is past his prime but I really love the guys leadership and the presense he brings. Still, way too much for the Nets to give up.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The thing that the Nets have on their side is that they're moving to Brooklyn soon. Anthony was born in the projects in Brooklyn so that might be enticing for him.

Supposedly the reasons behind all the Knicks talk is because his girlfriend wants him to live there. None the less, I think the Nets know what they're doing and are confident they'll be able to re-sign him if they trade for him.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Nets. But if he doesn't, they really are screwed.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is exciting for me, as a Nets fan.

We may lose Favors and Harris, but we get Melo and Billups.

Billups is old, but still talented. This may not spell imminent success for the Nets, but we will succeed somehow next year if he stays.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Billups is a proven winner, too.

I think the Nuggets should be happy with the amount of talent they are getting back and the Nets are on the right track by getting their home town kid.

And this sticks it to the Knicks, which I approve of.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
And this sticks it to the Knicks, which I approve of.
Me too. I can't stand the Knicks, for obvious reasons...

The Knicks still have a chance to continue to build a great team, and not getting Melo could be a godsend for them.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Nets. But if he doesn't, they really are screwed.
He's already said he won't sign an extension with them (which is why the trades talks have gone sour so many times) and the Net's will not trade unless he signs an extension.

I don't think he's going to sign so this trade will go sour too. He wants to win a title and the Nets are in no shape to be winning a title in the next decade. They are willing to give up their team and their future with picks to get Melo' so that wouldn't be enough for me to say "okay, I'm going to join a team that isn't going to win a title as long as I'm playing".