• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NES NES Original Controller Problem

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
If you by controllers from ebay, make sure that (1) they're the original kind, (2) they're NEW, and (3) they're packaged in the original box. I went and bought these weird new green controllers that had turbo A and B buttons above the regular buttons, and while the turbo worked great, the control pad lacked rotation which really sucked and made it unusable for all my sidescrolling games (which is at least 70% of all games I own).

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I have never heard of that kinda problem with a NES controller... All I can suggest it takeing it apart and cleaning everything with rubbing alcohol.

as for the NES itself... they are quite reliable. there was a problem with corrosion in the orinigal 72 pin connectors... Many people have probably tossed there NES's in the trash when all it required was 10 bucks and phillips screwdriver! (10 bucks for new 72 pinner)

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Here's the copy of the razorblade shaped cleaners with the felt tips:

http://www.geocities.com/dave00vega/NEScleaners.JPG

And here's a picture of the controllers. Notice they're much thinner than the original ones. The turbos are on top. And I think I opened one up but I couldn't tell what the pad problem is caused by. I have a feeling it could have something to do with the button height. If you look closely and compare to a regular controller, you might notice that the buttons all extend farther above the outer surface of the controller. Odd.

http://www.geocities.com/dave00vega/turbocontroller.JPG

yooperchick

Registered Member
00vega said:
If you by controllers from ebay, make sure that (1) they're the original kind, (2) they're NEW, and (3) they're packaged in the original box. I went and bought these weird new green controllers that had turbo A and B buttons above the regular buttons, and while the turbo worked great, the control pad lacked rotation which really sucked and made it unusable for all my sidescrolling games (which is at least 70% of all games I own).
I've noticed those on eBay, and decided to stay away from them. I would much rather try to get originals. I just have a hard time paying a lot of money for them.

I may take my controllers apart soon. I am hoping tomorrow is a snow day for us, and I will take the time to take it apart and see what is going on. It probably doesn't help that my four year old plays with the Nintendo all the time. Somehow, he may have broke it, but it still doesn't make sense how it broke all of a sudden while playing a game.

yooperchick

Registered Member
LaRazaUnida said:
What games did you pick up with your NES? I think my favorite game was Gauntlet. I also have this Godzilla game that was pretty fun.
When I got my NES, all I got with it was Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt. The game that I HAD to get next was Legend of Zelda. The first one a friend got for me from Funcoland. The battery was shot, so that wasn't fun. I then went to eBay and got one with a working battery. Since then, I've gotten some others from garage sales and eBay.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
I've never had any controller problems with my NES. Well, except for a button that would get stuck a long time ago... but that controller was stolen and replaced long ago, for one that functions perfectly.

yooperchick

Registered Member
I found a new controller at a local store. It was a reconditioned one with new pads, so I was very happy :)

I still didn't take the other one apart. I probably will after the holidays.