Neighbor issue

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Ok, so most of you know I have had an ongoing problem with the neighbor who lives above me. They make constant banging noises, and it appeared that they were purposely doing it when they would stomp specific beats on my ceiling. Around Christmas time they were particularly loud so I had banged on the ceiling. Their response was to stomp and jump up and down to make as much noise as possible for the rest of the night.

So, last night they started up again. I was so sick and tired of it that I walked upstairs (which is difficult since I hurt my legs) and knocked on the door. An old lady answered. I suspected it to be a young single mother, as there are 3 children in that one bedroom apartment with her, but they must be her grandchildren.

I very politely and cordially asked her to please keep the noise down, as I had a very difficult day and needed to relax. She was very sarcastic when she answered back, but made like she was going to try to keep it down.

So I go back downstairs to continue what I was doing. Not 5 minutes later, they start the immature jumping up and down on the ceiling. I called a courtesy officer to check it out, but they never responded.
After about an hour and a half, hoping they would eventually get tired and cease the noise, I went up there again and knocked on the door. This old lady answers again, with all cordial pretense gone. She looked absolutely livid and crazed. She started yelling at me like a banshee, getting in my face to the point where she was spraying it, and not saying it.

She yells that she pays to rent there, and that I shouldn't complain over any inconsequential noises they make, and because of me and all of my complaining to the front office, they have to move out in a week. She continues screaming at me and then starts pushing me around. She may be old, but that lady was strong as an ox. I finally lost my temper, and punched her in the mouth.

I wasn't arrested last night, but she is bringing charges against me. Apparently she is in the hospital now because of a heart attack, and the blame is being put on me for that.

I know I shouldn't have hit a 78 year old woman, but I felt that I was more on the defense than anything else. I was just told about the charges, and I'm trying to figure out how I should proceed.

Any advice?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Self-defense, it's that simple. You feared for you life because you had hurt legs and you were standing on the stairs and she started pushing you around and you reacted. Harshly and without much thought, but your self-defense instincts were kicking in.

Who cares if she's 78?

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
Holy friggin crap!!! Because of this Anita, I love you even more:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:, there's no excuse for paying rent on time and everything, all the other people do that bud can keep the respect of volume due to other neighbors. Nuts to that, she was also up in your grill messing up your burgers love, you handled that nicely :D

~Shwa

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Should I get a lawyer, do you think? It has been suggested to me a couple of times today when I told my friends what happened.

And I would like to go with the self defense approach, but who's going to believe that someone 50 years younger feared for her life?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
you sure she was 78 and not just haggard? Because my daughter's sister's mom looks about 60 and she's only 44. She smokes a lot of weed (an ounce a week) and has a stick so far up her ass she has splinters in her throat.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Should I get a lawyer, do you think? It has been suggested to me a couple of times today when I told my friends what happened.

And I would like to go with the self defense approach, but who's going to believe that someone 50 years younger feared for her life?
A lawyer would be ok I guess if you have the money to spare for it, if not just wait out till she tries to sue, well that's what I would do.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
A lawyer may be worth it, but just because she's 78 doesn't mean she's harmless. It's ageism. People think that old people simply cannot be a threat yet any sane person knows they can be just as big of bastards as the rest of us.

wolfheart

Registered Member
A lawyer would be a good idea,you can go with the self defence plea,I believe this has been going on for a while with them making lots of noise,have you reported it in the past if so it will strengthen your case.

It does not matter that she is 50 years your senior,if she pushed you then as far as I can see it she attacked you first,you reacted.
I wont say that it was the right reaction,but I would have done the same thing as you and clocked them one.