Need your advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EllyDicious, Feb 27, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

In a computer forum I was asking for help about backing up files or if there's another way to store my data somewhere so that I won't lose it.
    I asked if it was better to buy an external HDD and copy-paste it there or just do a back up.
    There's this guy who offered help and here's what he says:

I don't know him at all, and I don't know if this program will send him any data in any way since he's the one to create this program.

Should I trust him?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

My advice is not to put yourself into a position to question trust. Backing up data is a chore but not worth jepodising your security over.

3. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I wouldn't trust him, im sure you can get a actual program from a company, and I am pretty sure windows has its own back up program, but I don't know that much so I might be wrong.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

All I know is, there's easier ways to do this without a third party involved like that. If it were me - I wouldn't take him up on his offer.

5. EllyDicious

the truth is that i don't know how to back up files.

I was thinking about buying an external HDD and just paste all my data there.

6. Xeilo

What kind of data do you want to back up?

7. EllyDicious

just simple information stored in my D archive partition - music, videos, pictures, other documents. i just want to store them somewhere else in case my HDD breaks down someday.

8. Xeilo

Just copy and paste them on to a external hard drive like you were going to.

9. EllyDicious

ok. thank you Xeilo!
    ------
    yeah....you're right!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Obviously, don't copy any serious system files. Also, a lot of external hard drives these days come with programs that back up your data for you. Look into one of those.