Need your advice

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
In a computer forum I was asking for help about backing up files or if there's another way to store my data somewhere so that I won't lose it.
I asked if it was better to buy an external HDD and copy-paste it there or just do a back up.
There's this guy who offered help and here's what he says:

Well if you want,I can make you a small program which will be copying the data from one location to another.All you have to do is to write the SOURCE and DESTINATION location for the first time and then just click the button that says "BACKUP NOW!".For example:

SOURCE: "C:\My data\"
DESTINATION: "C:\Backup\"

I can also make you that the program does this automatically every hour without requesting you to do anything manually. It's an EXE file and you can store it anywhere.
Think about it and let me know.
I don't know him at all, and I don't know if this program will send him any data in any way since he's the one to create this program.

Should I trust him?

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't trust him, im sure you can get a actual program from a company, and I am pretty sure windows has its own back up program, but I don't know that much so I might be wrong.

All I know is, there's easier ways to do this without a third party involved like that. If it were me - I wouldn't take him up on his offer.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
the truth is that i don't know how to back up files.

I was thinking about buying an external HDD and just paste all my data there.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
just simple information stored in my D archive partition - music, videos, pictures, other documents. i just want to store them somewhere else in case my HDD breaks down someday.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
ok. thank you Xeilo!
------
My advice is not to put yourself into a position to question trust. Backing up data is a chore but not worth jepodising your security over.
Rebeccaaa said:
All I know is, there's easier ways to do this without a third party involved like that. If it were me - I wouldn't take him up on his offer.
yeah....you're right!

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Obviously, don't copy any serious system files. Also, a lot of external hard drives these days come with programs that back up your data for you. Look into one of those.