Need some advice

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Pugz, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

You all know i have a ferret, he's gotten into this nipping stage and it's driving me mad; what's a good way to disapline him when he nips?

I've tried scruffing but he just goes back to nip the hand i scruffed him with.

2. amjhdrummer

amjhdrummer It fell off.

3. Georginaxoxo

Georginaxoxo Registered Member

I would distract it from doing that or shout no but that would scare it

4. Pugz

I think the whole point is to scare it so it will stop doing it.

I'm looking at that site, it all sound good :)

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

You can't just pop his nose or maybe spray him with some water? I know the dogs hate that.

Oh you know I used to flick my cats ears when she did something wrong, she hated that.

6. Pugz

You can't tap them on the nose, they think it's either a form of play or a form of aggression and will bite harder and fear the owner.

7. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

How old is it? If it's under 2 yrs old it will grow out of it. Give him a Rubber latex chewie to attack and that should calm him down.

How long do you let it run free each day? Also you might want to try a dab of red pepper paste on your finger tips, that will discourage the biting too.

Also remember to wash your hands after you eat, you hands smell like food to them and they will try to eat you.

You can also do the ear flick trick, flick the tip of it's ear to simulate a mothers scolding (mothers will bite the tips of the Young's ears to keep them in line)

I have had several of them in the past and these tricks worked for me.

If all else fails you can use ground up cat nip in their food to calm them down.

Hope that helps you out.

8. Pugz

Yeah, he's not even one yet, i try to get him to play with other things like his fave ball but i seem to be this huge chew toy for him.

I will try the ear flick technique, any form of scruffing just makes him go for my hands.

9. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

If he is not even a year old then he is still teething and will grow out of it. Sharp little suckers, Worse than puppy needle teeth.

Do you take him outside to play? Mine used to love to go to the park and play.

Be careful they have one hell of a sweet tooth, keep a close eye on your soda when he is out.

10. Pugz

I always drink bottles so i'm safe there.

He's only five months so how long will it take to grow out of it?

It's too cold out at the moment for him to play out but it's gonna be warmer this week ^__^