Need More Memory

Discussion in 'Computers' started by icegoat63, Jun 11, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Heres what I've got:

Sony Vaio VGN-NR160e

it currently has a 1gb (200pin PC2-5300) DDR2 RAM.

~~~~~

I need to upgrade it to at least 1.5gb, but chances are I'm going with 4gb instead.

What I'm asking is, do any of you know of any websites or companies that may have a reasonable price / reputation.

Or! Any other options I might have;

currently the problem is the laptop is coming on being 2 years old, its a Vista-32 and is starting to slow down pretty bad. Pretty much all Functions are lagging and just recently we bought the Sims3 for it only to find that it doesn't even make the minimum requirements in RAM to push the game.

Any Advice, Ideas, any type of help would be appreciated.

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Well with Vista 32 bit operating systems (also sometimes called x86) the maximum amount of RAM that will be read is 4gb.

But I would say that you should read this before you do anything.

windows vista general Re: How much Memory can Vista 32 bit support?

the amount of RAM you can get is a mathematical limit.

You might look into getting PC6400 DDR2 3GB of it, that would be ideal.

icegoat63 likes this.
  3. icegoat63

That was sorta what I was looking for. I was perusing this site: Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E/T Memory Upgrades - 100% Compatible Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E/T RAM Memory

and they had this posted on it:
    So I wasnt entirely sure if I could venture away from the PC2-5300...

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

You can venture away but what you will benefit is slim to none. Your Vaio's RAM will always be limited by the motherboard and CPU configuration. I would recommend sticking with the same RAM type as you already have.

Buy a pair of 2GB. I cant recommend a store but Amazon have these, they should be sufficent. Link

icegoat63 likes this.
  5. icegoat63

I ended up buying the 2x2gb kit.

I used pricewatch, when I was in my CIT class I had an instructor that swore by that site, so I figured I'd give it a chance and it turned out pretty good actually. Bought the 2 sticks from a business based out of California called 1stChoiceMemory. I cross referenced it from one of the "buy used" stores on Amazon and sure enough they were listed there also.

All in all I ended up paying $52, could have been $45 but the "premium" grade version of the memory looked more like what her current 2x512kb RAM looks like which was like this:

[​IMG]

rather than this:

[​IMG]

I mean I doubt it'll make a difference, but in the least case I wanted to go with as close to what she currently had.