• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Need Input On Pitbull

Dabs

Registered Member
Pitbull as in dog, not the singer :)
And I didn't really want this in pets category, because I feel it would get more attention in main General....and I could use the input.
My son and his family have a full-blooded pitbull.....female...red nosed.
They have had her since she was a puppy, she is about 3 years old now.
To me, her looks are intimidating...any pitbull makes me nervous.....but Happy (her name) let's me pet her and she seems calm and playful and not at all aggressive.
But I still have these 'fears'.
I have seen many stories in the newspapers......in our area even....where the family pet dog, a pitbull, has suddenly turned and attacked it's owner.
The past few stories I have read are of where one pitbull bit an 80 year old woman, and then mauled her to death while the rest of the family was outside doing something.
When they came back in, the dog was still attacking the woman, and when police arrived, they had to shoot the dog because it was attempting to attack them.
Another story of one, a small boy was mauled to death by the family pit.
The family claims the dog never expressed any kind of aggressive behavior, and was always friendly to the little boy......but somehow, that dog ended up killing that small child.
I have heard that once a pitbull gets the taste of blood, then it doesn't stop...it keeps going.
If a family has a pitbull for several years tho.......in the case of the elderly woman, the family had that dog for 9 years.......why does the dog suddenly turn and attack one that loves it??
I am very upset with the fact that my son got this dog to begin with.
He has 2 of my grandchildren...a 5 year old little girl and a 2 year old little boy.
When I bring the subject up, my son tells me I worry too much and that Happy isn't going to attack the kids..but how does he know??
He doesn't.
I was wondering...has anyone here had any bad luck with a pitbull??
Maybe a good story they can tell me??
I know they have a bad reputation.......the dog was staying outside at my ex's house, but according to him, his home owner's insurance would go up if they knew, something about if he has a certain breed of dog...pit, rottie, doberman......it will make his premiums higher.
So, my son just moved to a place where they can have pets INSIDE *ugh*, and Happy is with them permanently....and it has me concerned :sigh:

Last edited:

Dekzper

Registered Member
I def wish I could give you a happy story but I cant. :( I almost got mauled by a Doberman that was always friendly. If it hadn't been on a leash I prolly woulda been in the hospital or worse. And my uncle got bit by his and he had to get out of his house and call the police to get rid of it! It tore up and broke some of the furniture and my aunt was in hysterics about it!
Imo, it's just too selfish when people think a pet is more important than their own family. And I def hope you can convince him to give the dog up before it really hurts someone.

Dabs

Registered Member
Thanks for your story Dek.
Wonder why a dog would turn like that??
I hear people who have been owners of pitbulls for years tell me they never once had a problem....but yet, there are stories out there.
Before they moved, they were trying to get rid of the dog, but they didn't just want to give her away to anybody, for fear someone who got her would mistreat her, so they went thru an adoption thing.
But, they ended up moving to a place where they were allowed to keep her, so they decided not to get rid of her...I was hoping so damn hard, that somebody would take her before they decided to move.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Yeah, it's really weird! :stare: We had a German Shepard and they can turn too but ours never did. Her name was Zoe and she was tons of fun and would bark if anyone tried to open the gate to the back yard. But she never attacked or bit anyone! :) She got too old though and finally died. :cry: And John has a Doberman and it always knocks me down by jumping up on me. It's friendly but I still dont trust it cause I know what they can do. He moved though, yay!
Btw, if anybody knows why they turn, please join in on the thread. :) I'd like to know about that too.
Oh, and Kyle has a Pit Bull and I quit going to his house when he got it. I never go anywhere if I know there's a Pit Bull there. I still like Kyle but hey, I got SAFER friends to hang with, lol! :nod:

Oh, be sure and let them know that NOBODY mistreats Pit Bulls. They wont let them, for very long!

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Pitbulls are about the only dog I am afraid of.
And rotties look kind of mean too, but I know more people who have pits than rotties.
And I have been told, dogs can sense when someone is scared of them.....damn things.....so that doesn't help with someone like me.
I'm not too fond of the taco bell dog either, they are ankle biters *haha*...when I was a young girl, my Dad's Mom had one, and it bit at my ankles all the time!
Happy has this huge head, like most pits do....and I just don't like it.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Yeah, those Taco Bell dogs aren't too bad! :lol: But you def needa stay away from those Pit Bulls! They're a lot stronger than people think they are and yeah, they know when someone's freaked by them. :-o Hmmm.... Just thinking. Dogs will attack rabbits and other small animals and they're freaked too. Maybe if a dog thinks another animal is scared, it has an instinct to attack it for food. That's okay if it's a little dog but Pit Bulls are just toooo big. If that's true, then a Pit Bull will attack the first time somebody seems scared, even if it wasn't the dog that scared them.
Anyway, I wanted a wolf or a Husky but dunno. They look awesome but they can be really dangerous too. Maybe I needa get some pet fish! :nod:

Last edited:

Bananas

Endangered Species
All dogs are vulnerable to flip, I suppose just the same as humans do.

I wish I could reassure you about the Pitbull ...........however even though I have a love for dogs I do not trust any of the pit dogs despite what their owners tell me. I am sure many of the dogs are loyal and no harm ever comes but there are to many stories of the unpredictable nature of these dogs which were after all bred for fighting that I simply do not feel they are trusted pets.

The difference between Rotties, Dobermens, German sheps etc.. are they are guardian/utility dogs, they generally only ever attack for what are (in doggie psychology) good reason. A good handler is all thats needed to tame them, pitbulls though I dont think even the handlers capabilities have any bearing over whether they flip or not. Their behavior seems so irregular.

If it were me, knowing there are kids in the vicinity, I would have strong words. I do not view pitbulls as suitable family pets, make sure your son is awre of their history, their purpose and their temperament(although he'll probably deny Happy to fit the breed credentials). I woud try and encourage them to get a different breed in future, in the meantime either chance it with the pitbull if they feel that strongly about it, (make sure it is never alone with the kids), or see if they can get it adopted locally maybe a mature relative(without kids) or even see if the local workshop/farm/yard wants a guard dog.

Also if they do keep it make sure they get it neutered/spayed and that they keep it muzzled ad leashed when outside.

Dabs

Registered Member
Thank you Bananas.
I know for sure, the dog is spayed.
And while she is out in the yard, she doesn't roam free, she has this chained in area.
But my biggest fear, is now that the weather has gotten colder, they bring her inside to keep warm.
This worries me something awful.
I have expressed how I feel about that breed since the day they got her, but up till now, they have never been able to really keep her inside ...she had been at my son's Dad's house, outside.
Oh yeah, they say she's all friendly and she wouldn't hurt a fly, but I read many horror stories, and I am leaning on the belief they should not have that particular dog.
Thanks again!

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Maybe you should have asked for good luck stories about pit bulls. I had friends who had a Staffordshire (one of the breeds that is commonly called a pitbull) and it was a very friendly dog and never bit anyone.

It's a very small percentage of pit bulls that end up biting people and seriously injuring them, but it's highly publicized, and in fact labs bite more people every year than pit bulls.

At any rate, worrying about it will only affect your peace of mind, it won't prevent anything from happening.

Dabs

Registered Member
Maybe you should have asked for good luck stories about pit bulls. I had friends who had a Staffordshire (one of the breeds that is commonly called a pitbull) and it was a very friendly dog and never bit anyone.

It's a very small percentage of pit bulls that end up biting people and seriously injuring them, but it's highly publicized, and in fact labs bite more people every year than pit bulls.

At any rate, worrying about it will only affect your peace of mind, it won't prevent anything from happening.

As to the first above underlined, I did...if you notice in my OP, I asked "Maybe a good story anyone can tell me??"
Can't get more clear than that.
As to the second above underlined.....these are my grandchildren and my children, I assure you...as a Mother for almost 33 years, worrying is part of my life.
If I wasn't worrying about the dog, I'd be worried over something else.
You never stop worrying about your children after they have grown, you continue...well I do anyway, and my Mother did.....to worry long after they age with each year~
As for my peace of mind.....I'm thinking....I'm lucky to have a mind at this point :lol: