Need help with an ab exercise

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by hockeyguy19, Aug 26, 2009.

1. hockeyguy19

hockeyguy19 New Member

For about a month I have been trying different things to try and get a six pack and it doesnt seem to be working. I dont need to lose weight and I have very little stomach fat. I dont eat fast food very much (like once every 2 months and its usually subway) and I dont eat a lot of junk food.

I am wondering if anyone knows certain exercises that I can do that will get me a six pack.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Crunches crunches and more crunches.

What I've learned over the course of my life is that the things worth doing arent something you'll ever achieve easily. If you achieve them easily there is usually a catch and generally it wont last. If you want a six pack, you'll just have to dedicate hours of training every other day. I knew a guy that was built fairly average, he wasnt bulky or muscular or skinny, just an average guy back in high school.

For his Science project he did something on the Human Anatomy dealing with Muscle Distrophy and Atrophy, but his test subject was himself. With no background in exercising, weightlifting, or other muscle training; he had a simple regime, 100 crunches every morning before breakfast, 100 at lunch, and 100 around dinner. He did it over the course of a month with the aide of the PE teacher (for how to do proper crunches) and low and behold he managed to build a six pack in that time. But he never did any more or any less, always 100 three times a day every other day.

Thing is thats harder than it sounds, because the rest of his project involved a few other people that he had write in a journal. Some did the same 100 crunches every other day, some did 300 all at once and some just did whatever. The general rule was, the 100 three times a day over the course of a month was the most successful. If I remember the guy that did 300 straight got the six pack faster, but it eventually faded and was less intense at the end of the project, the rest of the people didnt show much of a change at all.

Personally I found it to be a really interesting study (obviously since I committed it to memory) and a solid proof that all it takes is effort. Its not easy to keep up that kind of excercising routine especially considering its so monotonous. But if you want results, you'll have to work for 'em.

3. hockeyguy19

hockeyguy19 New Member

thanks so much I thought about doing crunches I just didnt think they would be affective in the long run.

Im going to do this and see if I can see anything in about 2 weeks

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

While crunches are effective there are better things you can do such as upside down situps, half quarter situps, and my personal favorite is flutter kicks.

I think that any of those 3 would be much more effective than crunches, they really burn fast to an extent but you can go for a while with them if you're really concentrating.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I used to hate leg lifts, but they really do get results. That with a combination of crunches and side crunches. My favorite is upside down situps like ddave said, but I don't have the equipment to be able to do that.

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Another besides leg lifts is called a leg raise pike. Hang from a pullup bar and then touch your feet to the bar. The key is no jumping to start yourself off and you have to try to do these in sets of 10 without stopping. I have been incorporating 50 or 60 of these into my routine 2-3 times a week and it's definitely doing the trick.

This:

YouTube - Hanging Pike

7. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Also, when you're doing abs, I believe it's crucial to breathe properly (well, I believe that for all exercising, really) and to hold your abs a certain way when exercising. You don't want to pouch out or anything when you contract your muscles. Try sort of holding your stomach in, but still being able to breathe. Breathe out when you are contracting your muscle, and breathe in when you are relaxing it.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That reminds me. It's also important to make sure you are staying even when doing ab stuff. If you start twisting one way or another as you do crunches or whatever then it's a sign that one side of your abs is becoming stronger than the other, hence your natural inclination to rely on that side more.

Make sure to avoid this though because you'll come out with crooked abs. Also make sure to stretch your side abs when you are done. A good way to do this is to stand up and then lean to the side and touch your left hand to your left knee (or as low as you can go while keeping your legs straight), and vise versa. If anybody else knows any good ab stretches feel free to post them. I only know a few basic ones.

9. wthCorey

wthCorey New Member

nobody mentioned that you need to switch up your ab routine .. atleast every week to 2 weeks. Also if your not gaining your not working hard enough or your not eating enough. Also 8 min abs on youtube ... its from like the 1980's i would'nt follow it but he shows some great exercises you should incorporate into your routine :D.