• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Need Electrical Advice...

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Hey all, so I've got a strange electrical issue in my apartment: sometimes, a whole wall of outlets keeps losing power. It's not tripping the breaker, and I narrowed the problem down to what's happening with a single outlet. If that particular outlet has something plugged in and is held at just the right angle, the whole wall turns on, but if it's not being held at that angle the whole wall turns off.

I turned off the breakers and unscrewed it from the wall, but I'm not gonna lie, I know next to nothing about what it's supposed to look like in there.

-It's got two black wires going into the holes in the back of the outlet on the side with the gold screws
-two white wires going into the holes in the back on the side with the silver screws
-one white wire going from the top silver screw down to the green screw
-one bare wire just sort of chilling by itself and not attached to anything

5 minutes of google research tells me the unattached bare wire should probably be going to the green screw, and says the white wire connecting green to silver is probably just outright wrong. 5 minutes of google research did not give me the confidence to mess with this myself.

Anyone who knows anything on the subject have any advice on how to fix my outlet?

danwiz

Registered Member
5 minutes of google research tells me the unattached bare wire should probably be going to the green screw, and says the white wire connecting green to silver is probably just outright wrong.

That's correct.

Everything else SOUNDS like it's okay. Try pushing those black wires and white wires farther into their holes. It's possible that one of them is loose. Another possibility is thst the little thing that holds the wires tight is broken off inside. I have never trusted just jamming wires into those holes - I have always taken the time to use the screws which are provided to attach the wires to.