• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Need an idea for a craft...

Arathald

Registered Member
So, long story short, I spend all day sitting at a computer and when I get home, I need something to do with my hands. Cooking is great, and I love it, but I want a craft/hobby that doesn't involve food, since I've started gaining a little weight, since it's easy for me to just go cook all evening.

I like the idea of knitting, and I realize it's not exclusive to women, but I don't like the results of knitting, they seem too.... rough (I dislike the look and feel of hand-knit items).

I'd love to do sewing/tailoring, but it would involve a decent bit of space and the tools, like a sewing machine, can start to get expensive.

So, I'm looking for something simple (space and tools-wise) that involves working with my hands, and produces something potentially useful as the end result, ideally as much from scratch as possible (I don't enjoy puzzles, models, kits, etc. because they don't fit these two very well).

I'll probably be a bit difficult about this, since my requirements are a little specific, so apologies in advance :D

Dabs

Registered Member
If you can sew by hand, you can make some awesome pillows!
In my area, we have a craft store called Hobby Lobby......they have tons of craft ideas.
But if you have a Wal-Mart in your area....try and locate some bandanas.....I'm sure you know what they are.
Find two alike..in a pattern you like.....they are easy to sew together to make a pillow.
Take two and turn them inside out, the front side facing each other, and stitch up 3 sides.
Turn the product back to where it's right side out now.....
Then stuff with pillow fluff, and then stitch up the remaining side that is left unstitched!
A perfect pillow that's very easy to make.
Bandanas cost $1 a piece here, and the pillow fluff costs about $3 per bag, it takes one bag per pillow....so you will have invested 4 bandanas and 2 bags of fluff....a total cost of $10....and you will end up with 2 pillows :)
And you can add a nice decor to one of your rooms, and it's something you made yourself!
I make pillows all the time for my grandchildren.....one has a bedroom done in SpongeBob....one has Disney Princess, and I also make all the curtains for my grandbabies' rooms :)
Good luck and enjoy!

Dekzper

Registered Member
Needlepoint's awesome cause you could do really awesome tapestries.
Another idea is kandi bracelets and kandi cuffs. I use glow in the dark pony beads but you can use any kind of beads. The beads aren't very expensive and there are tons of patterns for the cuffs. Or you can think up your own patterns. I'm doing a cuff with the Deadmau5 mouse.

trixiechi

Registered Member
Needlepoint's awesome cause you could do really awesome tapestries.
Another idea is kandi bracelets and kandi cuffs. I use glow in the dark pony beads but you can use any kind of beads. The beads aren't very expensive and there are tons of patterns for the cuffs. Or you can think up your own patterns. I'm doing a cuff with the Deadmau5 mouse.
what are kandi bracelets?

I also came across rexlace (plastic lacing) projects with all kinds of neat projects when I was looking up something for my girl scouts.

Dekzper

Registered Member
what are kandi bracelets?

I also came across rexlace (plastic lacing) projects with all kinds of neat projects when I was looking up something for my girl scouts.
They're tons of fun to make! :nod: A kandi bracelet is just a single strand of beads but you can make cuffs too and they're great to wear to clubs. Here's a site that has patterns and tutorials (the left column under "Navigation"). Btw, you can use pony beads, glow in the dark beads, or other beads too. They even have beads shaped like turtles, fish, stars, and tons of other things (and alphabet beads). I wear kandi all the time cause it looks so cool!
Crumpet's kandi patterns - kandi patterns for raver kandi bracelets, raver cuffs

Last edited:

Dekzper

Registered Member
I checked it out, thank you for the link. Definitely not your typical bead bracelets!
Def not typical 4 sure! :D If you've ever seen a Deadmau5 concert, he wears kandi too and usually a bracelet with 2 strings of beads hanging down from it. That's how I like making mine when I do singles! But the cuffs are even more fun cause you can get really creative. Oh, and you can get tiny glowsticks to put on the bracelets and it makes them even more fun!