Need Advice

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
So, I've finally gotten a suitable desktop replacement for my now dead one.

I'm having a problem getting Windows to recognize my second video card. The drivers are installed and the second card is in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot, just like it should be. When I boot Windows the option for the second monitor doesn't show up and it never recognizes the second card. I didn't have this problem with the original computer because it recognized the second card immediately.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Alright I happen to know the answer,

Go into your system BIOS and make the PCI card your boot card rather than your AGP card otherwise the computer will not recognize the PCI card.

Then go into your display settings (under properties) check the 2 little boxes, one of them should say "extend my desktop" and the other should say "use this as my primary monitor" this should activate your AGP card and you'll be good to go.

Doc

V.I.P.
Got it. Thanks for the help, Dave.

There were several problems:
1. The PCI card wasn't set as the main card.
2. There was a driver conflict.
3. One of the fans was busted on one of the cards and causing it to malfunction, luckily I got it working.

Time for a new problem, though. I have onboard audio that isn't being recognized by the system. The onboard is enabled in BIOS and I have the proper drivers for it; the drivers throw up an error when I try to install them (presumably because Windows isn't recozniging the onboard audio).

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Time for a new problem, though. I have onboard audio that isn't being recognized by the system. The onboard is enabled in BIOS and I have the proper drivers for it; the drivers throw up an error when I try to install them (presumably because Windows isn't recozniging the onboard audio).
As far as the onboard audio goes I had something similar happen, I thought that i had the right drivers installed but I didn't they had almost the same name as the ones that I was supposed to have downloaded, and the install program wasn't responding because it couldn't find the right audio device.

My motherboard has several different models of itself so it was really annoying finding the right one.

Be sure that you have the right audio drivers installed, double check.

Doc

V.I.P.
I don't have any drivers installed at all, but I know I have the right ones. I used Si Sandra to find the specific model number.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I don't have any drivers installed at all, but I know I have the right ones. I used Si Sandra to find the specific model number.
You have to download the exact drivers that you need online then extract the folder and go into the setup (after extracting the folder) to get the audio device working.

What is the make and model number of your motherboard?

Doc

V.I.P.
You have to download the exact drivers that you need online then extract the folder and go into the setup (after extracting the folder) to get the audio device working.

What is the make and model number of your motherboard?
The motherboard is a ASUS KBS-LA with an AMD K8 (Sempron 3000+) processor.

Wait! I just realized that, for some reason, Windows has the wrong drivers installed. Time for an update.

You totally missed where I said that the setup threw up an error and stopped working. My assumption was that it's throwing an error because Windows doesn't recognize the device as being there, at all. Not even in device manager.
------
Nope. Drivers are fine. It even recognizes the card now and gives me an audio slider.. but no sound.

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
------
Nope. Drivers are fine. It even recognizes the card now and gives me an audio slider.. but no sound.
sounds like your speakers may be broken, try it with a different set of speakers and see what happens. (If you haven't already)