• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox 360 Need advice - Xbox 360 breakdown

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Hey ladies and gents, GF definitely has some knowledgeable gamers and I was hoping to hear some advice about my Xbox 360 and its current issues.

I've had the system for years...I may have bought it in early 2006, not 100% sure. I did have to send it in for repairs, but since then it's treated me pretty well. Gave me a red ring of death scare about 1 1/2 years ago again, but only showed red once and worked after a night of rest.

A minor issue with freezing started a few months ago, where it'll freeze every once in a while but work without a problem after a reboot. Now, I'm having a huge issue with freezing...even on the dashboard, so I'm unable to clear my memory cache (one of the tips from support on the XBox site). The other tip from support involves giving it room for ventilation to avoid overheating, but I think I'm already good on that. Plus, it's had time to cool off since yesterday (when the issue really got bad).

On top of that, I've had issues with the disc drive and reading discs for a good 7 months or so...sometimes it won't acknowledge a disc being in the drive, and I have to eject/load many times before it will. Not too often, but it was annoying.

Finally, after trying to restart a couple of times and clear the cache as I had mentioned, I got an official message error with the fourth quadrant of the "red ring" lit up. The number was E71.

So obviously I'm frustrated, but here are my options:

(1) Send it in for repairs - I've had it repaired before, and it's definitely out of warranty by now. The cost of repairs wouldn't be that much less than a new system. This would be the least expensive.

(2) Buy a refurbished model from Gamestop - I've read that it's really, really risky to do this. Apparently there are a lot of negative results with refurb models, and lot of people do not recommend it (just going off of forum browsing, yahoo answers, etc.). This would be the second most expensive option.

(3) Buy a new Xbox 360 - It looks like I can get a decent new Slim for $199.99. It would put my mind at ease somewhat to be starting with a new, unused system. However, my big issue is that the hard drive I have now - with all of my saved games, achievements, arcade games (bought one two days ago, in fact) - isn't compatible with the Slim. It would be like starting from scratch which is somewhat frustrating for a guy that puts too much time in to video games ;). This is the most expensive option.

(3a.) Does anyone know if you can still buy a new Xbox 360 Elite (or system version that would be compatible with my older hard drive model)?

-----------------

Any advice would be much appreciated, guys. Thanks!

-Unity
------
P.S. - After posting this I got a red ring with sections 1, 3, and 4 lit up.
------
P.P.S. - It's loading and the Dashboard is working now, but there are obviously some issues going on so I don't know how long this will last. I tried the "Clear system Cache" option, but it didn't even the show the progress bar for two seconds before it finished. I'm not sure if it did anything effective or not. Still looking for input, though!
------
Update - I guess the Cache Clear worked, because when I started up the new Magic: The Gathering 2012 arcade game that I got this week it had to do an update. My save file was still there, though, and I was able to play a round with no problems. I think I'm going to try a more demanding game that uses a disc to see how the system responds. Even if it works it still kind of sucks for the reason I mentioned in my P.P.S. It might work for a while, but I'll always know it's waiting to blow up on me lol.
------
Update 2 - Tried to play some Fallout: New Vegas, and it froze within a couple of minutes, before any action had really started.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Thanks for the input, Bob. I'm considering one...after clearing my cache, I tried the option of unplugging everything from the system. I blew out some dust as well.

I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas for about 10 mins without a problem, but my guess is that it's only a matter of time until it craps out again in the next few mins or so. We'll see.

I'll be looking into that $200 Slim that I mentioned, which has a 4 GB hard drive. Which is fine b/c I've been working with a 2GB one for a while. I'll probably go ahead and buy the Transfer cable (I've been reading up on it all afternoon). The good thing about buying a new vs. repairs is that even though it's around $100 extra, with an old and aging system you never know when it might have problems again. I could be saving in the long run.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Thanks for the input, Bob. I'm considering one...after clearing my cache, I tried the option of unplugging everything from the system. I blew out some dust as well.

I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas for about 10 mins without a problem, but my guess is that it's only a matter of time until it craps out again in the next few mins or so. We'll see.

I'll be looking into that $200 Slim that I mentioned, which has a 4 GB hard drive. Which is fine b/c I've been working with a 2GB one for a while. I'll probably go ahead and buy the Transfer cable (I've been reading up on it all afternoon). The good thing about buying a new vs. repairs is that even though it's around $100 extra, with an old and aging system you never know when it might have problems again. I could be saving in the long run.
If you get the red ring of death then you have 3 years before the warranty expires from your previous repair date.

It seems like however you are having other issues beyond the ROD. Still the RoD has been known to cause issues like games freezing and discs not being read.

To be honest I would never by a refurb or used xbox. At this point your best option is to buy a new one (you can easily transfer the stuff to the hard drive with a transfer kit).

MS kinda fucked their customers since they keep phasing out older (and cheaper) models of the 360. It's annoying but xbox prices haven't really changed too much since its release because they keep adding larger hard drives or additional features.

That being said...your xbox might start ruining your gaming discs if you keep getting persistent errors. That usually happens when people ignore disc read errors.

I would avoid playing it in general and make a decision to repair or purchase a new one and get a transfer kit.

I suppose I am fortunate to get the RoD 3x under warranty. I purchased a slim because my hard drive was full and my xbox did not have an HDMI input.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
If you get the red ring of death then you have 3 years before the warranty expires from your previous repair date.

It seems like however you are having other issues beyond the ROD. Still the RoD has been known to cause issues like games freezing and discs not being read.

To be honest I would never by a refurb or used xbox. At this point your best option is to buy a new one (you can easily transfer the stuff to the hard drive with a transfer kit).

MS kinda fucked their customers since they keep phasing out older (and cheaper) models of the 360. It's annoying but xbox prices haven't really changed too much since its release because they keep adding larger hard drives or additional features.

That being said...your xbox might start ruining your gaming discs if you keep getting persistent errors. That usually happens when people ignore disc read errors.

I would avoid playing it in general and make a decision to repair or purchase a new one and get a transfer kit.

I suppose I am fortunate to get the RoD 3x under warranty. I purchased a slim because my hard drive was full and my xbox did not have an HDMI input.
Thanks for your input, Swift...much appreciated. I did end up buying a new Slim this morning; haven't hooked it up yet, but I will be in a few minutes. I agree about not trusting a Refurbished system, and this just felt like my best option.

I am starting to figure out from reading online that my old HD AV input cables won't fit into the new system? And it didn't come with them...complete BS, what a rip-off. It only came with the old red, white, and yellow...but no red, green, and blue.
------
Actually, looking at the AV hookup on the old Xbox it should fit into the new system! I might buy an HDMI cable sometime soon, but if the red, green, blue works I'm happy.
------
To go back on that, now I'm worried that the AV cable on the old xbox wouldn't be compatible with the Slim...same shaped port, but there are more metal pins in the old version plug's inside...so I worry that it wouldn't work the the Slim's circuitry. This is frustrating, lol.

Last edited: