• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Need Advice On Cockatiel

Dabs

Registered Member
OK, my ex husband got me a cockatiel..why??
I do not know why.
Maybe it's a crazy ass bird and he's trying to get at me.
Anyway, he is giving me a nice large cage to go with it.....and he says I have to get it cockatiel food *DUH*......and he doesn't know if it's a boy or a girl, because there is no way to tell the sex of that bird, unless one does surgery on them??!!
So....my main worry is them flicking their food everydamnwhere, so I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy one of those things that wrap around the bottom of the cage, so maybe it will help in collecting some of the bits.
Anyone have one of these birds??
And advice you can offer??
Am I in for a world of hurt?? :lol:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I used to work in the pet supply industry, so I know a few things about birds. Male cockatiels tend to be more brightly colored in the cheek area; females often have a barred or stripey pattern on the underside of their tails, while those of males are plainer. With just the one bird, of course, you'd have to go to the Internet for comparisons.

Also, the thing you wrap around the cage to keep stuff from flying out is called a seed guard.

Enjoy your new pal! I hope you don't find out it's crazy!

shelgarr

Registered Member
They are definitely messy. Surprisingly they are a lot of fun too. You'll find yourself quite attached. The more you interact with it, and handle it, the better pet it'll be. They have personalities and can be funny. Grant you, I've never had one myself, but I worked in an avian animal hospital and got to be around them.

I do have a parakeet though. He's a blast. Funny story...as a form of exercise I walk a lot. On my normal route, there he was on the sidewalk ahead of me pecking in the grass. Clearly he was an escapee, and knowing he was probably domesticated I gently tried to get him to hop onto my finger. Eventually I only scared him up into a tree. Then I walked home for a net and other supplies, grabbed my daughter and her friend, and drove back. We looked everywhere, and did birdie noises, and calls, and looked and looked. Just as we were going to give up, my daughter thought she heard something. We walked that way, it was nothing, but as we started back to the car I finally saw him! He was back in the grass. The three of us got on our hands and knees and approached him while his head was down, and held still when his head was up. Slowly we got close enough and the net was positioned to make a fast move and I got him. We set him up, and besides a bad case of mites, he has been a great pet.

Here is his pic, I think:

IMG_0249.jpg

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Your ex-husband hates you Dabs. And he wants you to suffer for decades to come. I am not even kidding. I am sure they can be awesome and enjoyable as well, but personally I would curse anyone who got me one of them for a present. I would say they are the better of the bunch though, but damn, they are noisy and messy and irritating.

Sorry about your misfortune. I hope you end up liking the thing. :-/

Dabs

Registered Member
Your ex-husband hates you Dabs. And he wants you to suffer for decades to come. I am not even kidding. I am sure they can be awesome and enjoyable as well, but personally I would curse anyone who got me one of them for a present. I would say they are the better of the bunch though, but damn, they are noisy and messy and irritating.

~LoL~
Thanks Curious (I think)......it's all K tho.....it's not too bad so far, it's quiet till we enter the room, then the chirping (or whateverthehell it's called) starts.
My ex doesn't hate me.....I mentioned I wanted a bird a few months ago....he just wasn't sure of which kind to get I guess.
And if it gets too much for me, he said he will take it back and keep it at his house, he already has 2 others :)
------
I used to work in the pet supply industry, so I know a few things about birds. Male cockatiels tend to be more brightly colored in the cheek area; females often have a barred or stripey pattern on the underside of their tails, while those of males are plainer. With just the one bird, of course, you'd have to go to the Internet for comparisons.

Also, the thing you wrap around the cage to keep stuff from flying out is called a seed guard.

Enjoy your new pal! I hope you don't find out it's crazy!

Thanks Tuck.....I purchased the seed guard.
And from the looks of it, I got a girl....so right now, it's being called Abagail.
If it stays being good...it'll continue to be Abagail.....but if it starts into bad shit...it will be going back to the ex and he can call it whatever he chooses ~LoL~

Last edited:

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Aww... I'm late to this topic. I actually own a cockatiel and have for ten years now. (Geez, that makes me feel soooo old - I got him back in 5th grade)

Anyway, I've never bought a seed guard, we just get to do a lot of vacuuming in my room. lol.

I don't know how they compare to other birds because I've only had one other bird and that was a budgie. However, I do have to say that cockatiels are funny. Their crest REALLY gives away what they're thinking, it goes straight up when they're scared.

That's the biggest difference I've noticed between my cockatiel and the budgie I had.

Also that's funny that he told you that you'd have to do surgery to know their sex. As Tucker said the females do have those marks on the undersides of their tails.

Noisy, maybe, but not compared to other birds like conures. My sister has a conure and she is REALLY noisy.

Cockatiels' messes are easy to clean up, too. He really hasn't been that high maintenance for me, personally.