Need a passport at all times.

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

There's a new law that you need a passport at all times when you cross the border from Canada to go in the United States.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano believes that the terrorist of 9/11 came through Canada, which stirred up a lot of controversy, She believes that Canada are to lax at the border.

CTV.ca | New rule puts U.S. Coast Guard in Canadian waters

Thoughts?

Do you believe that this is a good new law?

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Sure.

When I went to Canada the one time the guy on the Canadian side was all too enthused to be doing his job. Didn't even sit up from his seat, droned off a few questions that he acted like he asked 500 times, didn't want our passports and sent us on our way.

Coming back tho, the line was long, but we got right thru when we presented our passports. It makes life easier getting back over. It may make a dent in terrorists crossing over, but most are citizens anyway.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I think it's a good law as long as you don't start needing visas for it. :lol:

The US has gone stricter with controls. Even for other countries with exemption visa rule, some of us need to get visas. My friend, she's British, went to the US via Canada and was asked for a visa to enter the US. Of course she didn't expect it as she's never been asked before with her British passport. Apparently it's a new rule. She had to get the visa within the hour before her flight (she almost missed it). Fortunately it didn't take that long to get the visa, just stressful wait at the counter.

I'm flying there in August and I was told that if my passport was issued at a certain period, I would need a visa to go there. There are also new documents needed like ESTA for everyone who wants to enter the US. It's annoying to find out about these since I didn't have to go through them before, but I can understand the need for stricter identity controls.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

That law has been in the works for over a year now, it didn't have anything to do with Janet Napolitano. I can't judge whether it's a good law because I'm biased and to me it's just a pain in the ass, means I can't go to Windsor or Toronto whenever I want because I don't have a passport.

5. gusto

gusto Registered Member

You can still get into Canada without a passport but you need one to get back into the USA.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

well I wasn't planning on going to stay, as much as I love Toronto.