• '05 Texas Longhorns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There are three teams from '00 to '09 that stand out above the rest, in my opinion. The '01 Miami Hurricanes, '04 USC Trojans, and '05 Texas Longhorns. Here's a look at the key players and results for each team.

The key players are mostly currently playing in the NFL or were All-Americans in college.

2001 Miami Hurricanes

This team was loaded with 1st round draft picks and future NFL stars, including guys like Kellen Winslow, Sean Taylor, and Antrelle Rolle who were just freshman and low on the depth chart, so I don't have them listed as key players.

Florida State, Syracuse, Washington, and Virginia Tech were all ranked in the top 15 when Miami beat (or destroyed) them.

Nebraska should not have been in the championship game. They were coming off a 62-36 loss to Colorado in their last regular season game and did not win the Big 12 North division. Miami cruised to a 37-14 win, and led 34-0 at halftime.

Schedule/Results
W 33-7 @ Penn State
W 61-0 vs Rutgers
W 43-21 @ Pittsburgh
W 38-7 vs Troy
W 49-27 @ Florida State
W 45-3 vs West Virginia
W 38-0 vs Temple
W 18-7 @ Boston College
W 59-0 vs Syracuse
W 65-7 vs Washington
W 26-24 @ Virginia Tech
W 37-14 vs Nebraska (National Championship game)

Key Players
QB - Ken Dorsey
RB - Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee
WR - Andre Johnson
TE - Jeremy Shockey
OL - Bryant McKinnie
DL - Jerome McDougle, William Joseph, Vince Wilfork
LB - DJ Williams, Jonathan Vilma
DB - Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, Phillip Buchanon (all drafted in 1st round)

2004 USC Trojans

The offense was a year away from reaching their full potential, but they were still sick and they also had a great defense with tons of talent.

They did have some games that were closer than you would expect, but they also dominated some really good teams, like Arizona State who was top 15. Cal was in the top 10 and led by Aaron Rodgers. They embarrassed a good Oklahoma team, who was undefeated, in the title game.

Schedule/Results
W 24-13 vs Virginia Tech
W 49-0 vs Colorado State
W 42-10 @ BYU
W 31-28 @ Stanford
W 23-17 vs Cal
W 45-7 vs Arizona State
W 38-0 vs Washington
W 42-12 @ Washington State
W 28-20 @ Oregon State
W 49-9 vs Arizona
W 41-10 vs Notre Dame
W 29-24 @ UCLA
W 55-19 vs Oklahoma (National Championship game)

Key Players
QB - Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel
RB - Reggie Bush, LenDale White
WR - Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith
TE - Dominique Byrd, Fred Davis
OL - Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Deuce Lutui
DL - Sedrick Ellis, Lawrence Jackson, Mike Patterson, Shaun Cody, Frostee Rucker
LB - Dallas Sartz, Keith Rivers, Lofa Tatupu
DB - Darnell Bing, Terrell Thomas

2005 Texas Longhorns

This team will forever be known for Vince Young's heroics in the title game victory over USC. That USC team could easily be considered one of the greatest of all time instead of Texas.

The Horns scored 40 or more points in every single game except the Ohio State game (one of the most heartbreaking losses I've seen as an OSU fan). That Ohio State team went on to finish #4 in the country.

Schedule/Results
W 60-3 vs Lousiana-Lafayette
W 25-22 @ Ohio State
W 51-10 vs Rice
W 51-20 @ Missouri
W 45-12 vs Oklahoma
W 42-17 vs Colorado
W 52-17 vs Texas Tech
W 47-28 @ Oklahoma State
W 62-0 @ Baylor
W 66-14 vs Kansas
W 40-29 @ Texas A&M
W 70-3 vs Colorado (Big 12 Championship game)
W 41-38 vs USC (National Championship game)

Key Players
QB - Vince Young
RB - Selvin Young, Jamaal Charles
WR - Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby
TE - David Thomas
OL - Justin Blalock, Lyle Sendlein, Kasey Studdard, Jonathan Scott
DL - Brian Robison, Brian Orakpo, Rod Wright
LB - Aaron Harris
DB - Cedric Griffin, Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, Michael Huff, Tarell Brown
------
Other teams that could be considered, in my opinion...

'05 USC - Perhaps the best offense of all time with Leinart, Bush, White, Jarrett and company a year older than the '04 team, but they had to replace a lot of defensive players. They were really only a play away from winning the game against Texas.

'08 Florida - They did lose to Ole Miss by a point, but after that game they were unstoppable on both sides of the ball. Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, plus all the other great players that will be drafted in a few months.

'09 Alabama - There were a couple games they should have lost, but they elevated their game on the biggest stage. They dominated Florida, and handily beat Texas in the title game.

'02 Ohio State - Half of their games were decided by 7 points or less, but they always found a way to win. Everybody expected Miami to beat them by 40 points, but Ohio State proved they had the athletes to compete with anyone and they won in double overtime to win the title. Tons of NFL talent on this team.

'02 Miami - Returned a ton of talent from the '01 team, including Dorsey, McGahee, Johnson, Vilma, Williams. The guys they lost to the draft, like Reed and Shockey, they replaced with Taylor and Winslow.

'04 Auburn - Nobody will ever know how good this team really was. They ran the table and finished #3 in the BCS rankings, missing out of the title game. However, I think USC would have run circles around them. The Tigers had a lot of good players though that are now in the NFL. Jason Campbell, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Carlos Rogers, etc.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Since nobody else wants to take a shot at this, I will.

I am going with the '01 Canes. I think it's close between them and the '04 Trojans, but the Canes' defense was just nasty. They had a dominant offensive line and ridiculous talent at the skill positions. What really sets them apart from the other teams was their intimidation factor. They were downright frightening. I don't think you can say that about any of the other teams of the decade.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The 2005 USC team was fatally flawed. The close calls they had against Notre Dame (38-35, IIRC) and Fresno State (50-48) showed that if you could keep up with the offense which was phenomenal you had a shot. That's how Texas beat them. They just outscored them. Even though USC's offense was better in 2005, they had a more complete team in '04.

I'd go with the 2001 Miami squad as team of the decade. So much talent, and they rolled over people. That squad might be in the discussion for best of all-time.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
The 2001 Canes were as close to perfect as you could get this decade. They were filled with talent up and down the field. I am sure they could have won most of the games on their schedule with their reserves. They had plenty of depth, executed well and are the team of the decade.