• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NCAA Football 11 Discussion

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I know we have a few members here who play the game, so I figured we should have a thread to discuss what we like or don't like about it, or how our dynasties are going.

I just finished up my first year with Ohio State. Went 13-0, beating Oklahoma comfortably in the title game. I did have some really close games though. Miami, Illinois, and Penn State all had chances to win on their final possession.

My next season should be fun. I got the #1 recruiting class (six 5*, twelve 4*, and six 3*), and was happy to see that Pryor and Posey decided to come back for their senior year. Pryor is rated 99 and Posey 95. Dan Herron declared for the draft early, but I have four backs rated in the high 80's, as well as a 5* freshman that I'm redshirting.

Whenever it becomes too easy to the point of not being fun anymore, I'm going to take over Air Force and try to turn them into a passing team.

BigBob

Registered Member
Obviously as you know, I'm running my first season with Tulsa.

During my game against SMU, while me and Steve were talking about breaking records. I wanted to break the receiving record for yards and catches in a game. At half time, I had about 290 receiving yards and 16 catches. In the 3rd quarter, I had 3 catches and got my total up to 383 yards but then I noticed, they wouldn't put my receiver back in.

That pissed me off. I planned on running the ball until the end of the game had I gotten the 405 yards and 26 catches (I believe), so I decide to do everything I could to embarass them.

I finshed the game 40-63, 770 yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Currently I'm sitting at 6-1 in my first year.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I just finished up my last year with the Terps and picked up four 4* recruits. My athletes didn't pan out as well as I'd have liked but I got a beast HB.

I've won my first game of the season and started my recruiting. My QB's level jumped up big time and I think I'm going to try to break the single season passing records with him. I have a TE that catches everything and two moderate WRs that I should be able to break the record with.

I noticed in my first game that my routes are getting jumped more than usual when I pass 50+ times. I'm going to have to find a way to balance the run so they put the safety in the box and I can still get 400+ yards in a game.

BigBob

Registered Member
Well I just finished my first season with Tulsa. I finished the year at 13-1 and defeated LSU in the Autozone Liberty Bowl 14-7. Tulsa finished ranked #18.

With a suprise trophy, my quarterback Kinne moved from not being in the Heisman talk the week before the Conference Championship to jumping up and winning it after the C.C. game. My wide receiver Ricky Johnson won the Maxwell, Walter Camp and Biletnikoff awards for best player and best wide receiver. I also had a lineman Ray win the best lineman award but he graduated.

During the offseason after recruiting, I ended with the #58 recruiting class, signing 18 3-stars, 1 2-star and 1 1-star. Oklahoma actually had a running back request to transfer to Tulsa (Brennan Clay, 81 overall). I off course let him come and I believe he'll be my starter for the season. We'll find out of the training results are in.

Training results actually bumped Clay up to an 86 overall and my #1 wide receiver to a 96 overall (Damaris Johnson). My wide receiver that broke the season records for receiving last year jumped up to an 83 overall (from 79 overall).

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Training results actually bumped Clay up to an 86 overall and my #1 wide receiver to a 96 overall (Damaris Johnson). My wide receiver that broke the season records for receiving last year jumped up to an 83 overall (from 79 overall).
Those are some nice jumps. You should go after as many 4* players as you can get during the offseason/next season so your overall team rating jumps better.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I just finished up my second season at Ohio State today. Finished 13-0 with a win over LSU in the Rose Bowl. I started the year #1 and dropped to #3 by the end. It was pretty lame. Pryor finished second in the Heisman voting after 2,500 passing yards and 20 touchdowns, plus 1,100 rushing yards and 20 more touchdowns. It's stupid that he didn't win it.

I only lost 11 seniors to graduation, but that includes Pryor and Posey who were beasts for me. My top corner declared for the draft as a junior. I needed him to stay since my secondary was my weak spot last season.

I got the #3 recruiting class. Would have been higher, but I didn't recruit many guys since I had a small senior class. I think I signed five 5* and about eight 4*. I filled a lot of needs, so I'm happy with it. This next year I need to recruit a stud quarterback, several linebackers, and a corner. Other than that I'll just get whoever looks good.

BigBob

Registered Member
Those are some nice jumps. You should go after as many 4* players as you can get during the offseason/next season so your overall team rating jumps better.
I am going for some 4-stars now because they actually want to come play for me. I'm trying to grab 4 top-150 players (QB, WR, T, CB) but none of them have any interest in me. I'm trying to steal them.

My first game of the season was against #23 Boston College and I won 35-28. I'm finally spreading the ball around instead of looking at my one receiver (who finished with 2,600+ yards and 27 TDs).

BigBob

Registered Member
So I figured I'd wrap up my season here.

After starting the season 13-0, Tulsa got their first BCS birth.. this one to the Rose Bowl against #9 Ohio State (11-1).

What most would have assumed would've been a blowout, the game was never farther apart then just a touchdown. With Ohio State bringing to the table multiple 1st Team All-Americans.

RB Dan Herron (310 att, 1464 yards, 16 TDs, 29 rec, 519 yards, 7 TDs)
WR Devier Posey (77 rec, 1136 yards, 22 TDs)
RE Nathan Williams (21 TFL, 6.5 sacks, INT, 3 defl, FF, FR)

2nd Team All-Americans
JB Shugarts (30 pancakes, 2 Sacks)

Freshman All-Americans
DT Zac Robinson (8 tackles, 1 TFL)

Tulsa would not be outdone there, bringing in four of their own 1st teamers, all on defense.

LE Tyrunn Walker (32 TFL, 16 sacks, INT, 3 defl, 2 FF, FR)
MLB Shawn Jackson (12 TFL, INT, 3 FF, 2 FR)
CB Lowell Rose (7 INTs, 5 sacks, 15 defl, 3 FR)
SS Dextor McCoil (100 tackles, 72 ST, 22 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 INTs, 13 defl, 5 FF, 3 FR and a safety)

2nd Team All-Americans
WR Ricky Johnson (70 rec, 1349 yards, 13 TDs)
CB Justin Skillens (Sack, 3 INTs, 5 defl, 2 FF, FR)

The game was tight throughout, the biggest lead by either team would be only 7. Coming into the game, it was the great defense of Tulsa against the great offense of Ohio State. One would have to give. Never trailing, Tulsa took a 24-21 lead into halftime with both teams running the ball quite a bit in the first half. At the start of the second half, Ohio State got the ball and walked down the field, converting a 4th down to tie the game at 24-24. After that, the teams would both stall until the 4th quarter. With a quick strike down the field, Tulsa would get into field goal range and kick to take the lead 27-24. Ohio State would receiver the ball back but they would stall, punting the ball away in the 4th with 3 timeouts left with 6 minutes left on the clock. Now it was up to the Buckeyes defense. 1st down after 1st down, Tulsa would force Ohio State to use all of their timeouts and with a minute left on the clock at 3rd down, Tulsa converted the most important 1st down of the game.

Tulsa would kneel the ball twice and win 27-24 with GJ Kinne winning MVP for his 13 of 19 for 260 yards and 2 TD performance. Neither team turned the ball over, not once. Both teams had dropped multiple interceptions throughout the game which could've turned it around big for either side.
Was I shocked that I won? Yes. Who wouldn't be? No sacks for either team. No turns over. It was a very clean game.

The National Championship Game....

Boise State defeated USC (both undefeated, 12-0) 31-10.

Both Boise and Tulsa finish undefeated, 13-0 and 14-0 respectively.

Now, onto awards.
Heisman: Ryan Tannerhill (Texas A&M)
Maxwell: Stephen Garcia (South Carolina)
Walter Camp: Dan Herron (Ohio State)
Bednarik: Dexter McCoil (Tulsa)
Nagurski: Decter McCoil (Tulsa)
O'Brien: Kellen Moore (Boise)
Walker: John Clay (Wisconsin)
Biletnikoff: Devier Posey (Ohio State)
Mackey: Chris Gragg (Arkansas)
Outland: Mark Huyge (Michigan)
Rimington: John Basslet (WVU)
Lombardi: Tyrunn Walker (TUlsa)
Best LB: Alex Hrebec (Kansas State)
Thorpe: Dexter McCoil (Tulsa)
Groza: Jeremy Shelley (Alabama)
Guy: Trevor Harman (Boise)
Best Returner: James White (Wisconsin)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Great writeup. Sounds like it was an intense game. I'm disappointed that you won though. :lol:

Posey should have won the Heisman. Those stats are ridiculous.

BigBob

Registered Member
Great writeup. Sounds like it was an intense game. I'm disappointed that you won though. :lol:

Posey should have won the Heisman. Those stats are ridiculous.
I understand, but you still love me! So that's okay.

I definitely agree that he should've won the Heisman. Tannerhill didn't come into the Heisman picture until about week 12, and then he just snuck up and took it. It was a little disappointing but it happens. Posey getting his 22 TDs, seeming like every time I looked he was grabbing 3 a game deserved it and he (at least from when I checked unless I looked over him) completely fell out of the top 5.
------
I think I've got a Heisman canidate at running back.

Echoes, remember how we always talked about never getting a return touchdown with these sliders? My sophomore running back (transfer from Oklahoma) Brennan Clay did it back-to-back. Forced Oklahoma State to punt on their first drive and broke around 3 tackles to return it for a touchdown, and then Okie State kicked a field goal two drives later and I returned that kick for a touchdown.

Last edited: