NC Teacher Calling Student "A Loser"

Critter

Registered Member
Note: Sorry if posted but i didn't see anything here with you guys yet lol. this might be just a bit different from the first article.

"A North Carolina middle school teacher is in the hot seat over his controversial style of teaching. He says he's relating to his students, but teachers at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls have a different opinion

To me it's somebody thinking that it was going to be funny, and I guess I don't see that as a humorous statement." Julie Ortman, a sixth grade teacher at Memorial, is referring to comments like "minus 20% for being a loser" made by the teacher in North Carolina, not once, but twice, on a sixth grader's homework assignments -- even after the mother of the student complained to school administrators that the teacher was bullying her daughter.

or her part, Ortman believes in a different approach: "I just know for me personally I have a list of one hundred one ways to praise a child." When teacher Chuck Weis heard about the comments made on the student's papers, he thought of it not just as a teacher but also as a parent.
"When I come to school every day I have one hundred nineteen kids that I'm their parent for nine hours of the day. When I drop my son off at school, I want to feel that same thing -- that these people are there working for me in my place."
The North Carolina teacher has apologized, and the school district there is calling it a personnel matter."

Sioux Falls Teachers React to NC Teacher Calling Student "A Loser" | KSFY.com - Your Source for News, Sports, and Weather - Sioux Falls, South Dakota 57104 | Local News

The fact of the matter is he done it before. Mom complain and than he re appeared again this is a new version with another opinions.

Here the the other version from the start.

"Rex Roland, a sixth grade teacher at the Enka Middle School in Candler, N.C. has made the news – and not for anything heroic!

Turns out, Roland bullies his students.

Patty Clement’s daughter who is a sixth grade student in Roland’s class came home from school with her assignments and across the page was the word “loser” …written by her teacher Rex Roland.

Roland told the mother and WLOS News 13 in N.C. that it was just in jest. The first time the mother confronted him, he apologized and it stopped. He said it was his way of relating to the students. Now it has started again.

Last week, the teacher threw the student’s pencil box into the hallway and the sixth grader got in trouble with another teacher.

Her daughter has been transferred to another class, however the bullying and threatening cyberbullying is enough to rattle any child. In fact, she has received a few nasty messages from the principal’s very own son. Does the school principal approve of cyberbullying?

Yet, many parents support the teacher’s inappropriate behavior. Kathy Andrews, a parent, told WLOS News 13 that this is how Roland relates to the kids, by using their words. No other parents would go on camera.

Kids swear. Does that mean Roland uses swear words with the kids? Would that be relating to them?

When an adult is demeaning and disrespectful to a child in any way it sends the wrong message. If you call someone a loser and use that word often enough, eventually they will believe they are a loser.

In talking with the mom, Patty Clement this morning, all she wants is for her daughter to know that she is far from a “loser” and can do anything she sets her sights on.

For this teacher to disrespect students in this way sends a message saying “you’re not good enough, you’ll never amount to anything.” That’s not a message that should be sent to any child.

The Enka Middle School says this is a personnel matter and they are investigating this.

Some parents defended Roland's teaching style, but Clement wants him suspended.

Bullying is a problem that affects millions of students of all races and classes. 1 out of 4 kids is bullied and 42% of kids have been bullied while online. Child and teen Bullying and Cyberbullying are at an all-time high. Some kids are so tormented that suicide has become an alternative for them. It has everyone worried. Not just the kids on its receiving end, but the parents, teachers and others who may not understand how extreme bullying can get.

When teachers or parents are the bullies, how can we expect our kids not to bully? Kids need good role models!"

Teacher bullies students and writes ?loser? on sixth grade student?s assignments

Just the underline one part up there i didn't here for infomation and for lazy i got a video for you link below

Teacher writes 'Loser' on child's assignments

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
I find anything a teacher says that degrades a student in class no matter whatever the reason is completely over the line and unnecessary. I know personally that if I was a teacher (which is what I want to be once I get out of college) that I would never say anything like this. The fact that he has also done this before just makes the entire thing more sickening.

Critter

Registered Member
I find anything a teacher says that degrades a student in class no matter whatever the reason is completely over the line and unnecessary. I know personally that if I was a teacher (which is what I want to be once I get out of college) that I would never say anything like this. The fact that he has also done this before just makes the entire thing more sickening.
The things i find are distrubing in this story. 1. He done it before when the mother told him to stop. (he needs to understand STOP) 2. throwing pencils out in the hallway and getting her in trouble? (not sure how much legs this has but at this point i believe the mother and her daughter) 3. The parents protecting the teacher is the one that scares me the most.

I wish you all the luck, i need to get to college myself