NBA players who choose #23

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Mirage, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think NBA players choose #23 because it was Michael Jordan's number?

For example, Lebron James has #23.

[​IMG]

Or what about Kobe Bryant? Do you think he changed his number to #24 as a sneaky way to one up the big 23?

[​IMG]

Unless they both had other reasons for choosing these numbers, I think they are both MJ related in some way. Whether respect or spite, I'm not sure.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

No doubt that the players who choose number 23 is because of Michael Jordan. I personally always said that Jordan's number should be retired across the league, so no one can ever use it.

I always thought that Kobe changed his number to 24 because he wanted to be one number ahead of Jordan. He said he changed in 24 because that was his number in high school and he started a new chapter in his life, but I disagree with that.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I always chuckle when I see players wear 23. Some players just don't have any other choice. I'm pretty sure I've seen role players wear 23.

For players like LeBron and Kobe, I'm not sure it's got as much to do with MJ as we like to think.

4. Babe_Ruth

There's no doubt in my mind that LeBron is wearing 23 because of Michael Jordan, he's said on multiple occasions that he idolized Jordan when he was younger, and he's wearing number 23 because of his idol.

But you might be right about Kobe, but deep down I honestly believe its because he wanted to be one number above Jordan.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Oh right. I remember LeBron talking about idolizing MJ as well. Actually, I bet tons of players idolized MJ. It's just few have the talent to be as great. :lol:

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

At least LeBron could hold his own in a 1 on 1 game with MJ in his prime. MJ would win but LeBron could definitely make that win a tough one.

And as for Kobe using number 24. Sure it might be because he used that number in high school.... but unless that number was assigned to him randomly in high school, he could have just picked it in high school because it was 23+1.

Then again he could have decided to revive his old high school number because it happened to be 23+1. Who knows. I still think he did it to one up MJ one way or another.

7. Babe_Ruth

I would love to see LeBron vs Jordan both in their prime, but I think Jordan would win easier then what people expect, the reason being is because Jordan was a great defensive player, one of the best defensive guards in the NBA. That's why he's considered the G.O.A.T it's not only because he was a force on the offensive side, not only because he won six Championships with the Bulls, but its because he had the total package. LeBron is a great player, arguably the best player in the NBA today, but he doesn't have the total package, LeBron wouldnt be able to defend Jordan one on one. But Jordan could defend LeBron one on one.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't think all players who wear #23 do so because of Jordan, but I'm sure a lot do. I agree with MJ, they should retire the number across the entire league.