NBA Draft thread: June 24, 2010

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The NBA draft is this upcoming Thursday, I'm really excited and there's a lot of talent in this draft. The first pick will be John Wall, then Turner will be chosen second by the 76ers.

The third pick is a little more tricky though. The Nets could go with Favors who has a chance to be the best player in this draft eventually, but as a lot of developing to do. Cousins is another player that could go third overall but a lot of people say that he has character issues and his work ethic is a little skeptical.

As you know I'm a huge Raptors fan so the 13th pick is the one that I mostly looking forward to. Most Raptor fans want Paul George who is a small forward from Fresno St. The Raptors will probably deal Hedo over this summer so we'll need a new Small Forward for the future.

Other interesting picks are Patrick Patterson from Kentucky. I was quite impressed with Patterson when I watched him this season. He's a power forward, some say why pick a four when you have Chris Bosh, well Chris Bosh is most likely out of Toronto as well. Then last but not least there's Avery Bradley out of Texas who could be the Point Guard of the future. So there's a lot of directions they can go with. Rumors are is that they'll might trade for another pick in the first round, they want the 20th pick or so.

I can't wait to watch the draft, it will be a good one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

2. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

There's no doubt in my mind that the first 3 selections will be John Wall, Evan Turner and Derrick Favors in that specific order. After that it's definitely a toss up. DeMarcus Cousins from Kentucky could easily be a top 5 pick but like BR mentioned his character issues/lazyness may cost him a few spots. I honestly think that if he can work on those flaws he can be the best player coming out of this draft.

As for the Raptors pick, there's definitely a lot of holes that we need to fill. Guys like Aldrich, Whiteside, Bradley, Henry, Bledsoe, Udoh, Patterson, George and Henry are all possible targets that we've been looking at #13. Guys like Bradley, George and Patterson are definitely strong candidates that the front office are commited too. I only hope we dont trade the pick because I dont want a quick fix up, I want to rebuild...and drafting a guy like Paul George would definitely be a good start. BR also mentioned that were trying to acquire another pick in the early 20's...we dont have many assets to acquire that selection but we have 3 million dollars that some teams would definitely be interested in. The 7'1 Solomon Alabi from Florida ST is the target for us around that number. All I hope is for a solid pick...our draft history is definitely not on our side.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  3. Babe_Ruth

Unfortunately it seems like it's just me and my brother that will be watching the NBA Draft tonight. I personally am very excited. We all know who the first two picks are going to be, but from three and up it could be a lot of surprises.

One player that I'm really curious to know where he's going to go is DeMarcus Cousins. Like I mentioned in my OP he has a lot of character issues and his work ethic is not at the level it should. He as the potential to be one of the best players in this draft but I think some teams will pass on him because of those negative traits.

I wonder if we're going to see any trades at this draft, it's always exciting when Stern comes to the podium and says "we have a trade to announce"

Colangelo hasn't said anything about the direction he'll be going tonight. The selection will either be a PG, SF or a PF in my opinion. We're pretty set at SG with DeRozan and our Center is Bargnani. But if Bosh leaves then Bargnani might move to the Power Forward spot.
    ------
    Here are the first five picks:

Wizards: John Wall
    76ers: Evan Turner
    Nets: Derrick Favors
    Timberwolves: Wes Johnson
    Kings: DeMarcus Cousins

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The NBA Draft rarely has any surprises anymore. Seems like everyone knows the order of the top 5 or top 10 months before the draft.

5. Babe_Ruth

Yeah I pretty much knew who the top five selections were before they happened, but I still enjoyed watching it last night.

The Raptors drafted Ed Davis out of UNC. Bosh is 99% not re-signing with the Raps, and if he does he'll probably be for a sign and trade type of deal. Davis will replace Bosh, he has a lot of talent but he's also raw on the offensive side of the ball. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a star in this league. But I like the pick, especially since it was the thirteenth pick.

The Raptors also made trade to get Solomon Alibi who is another raw type of player that played for Florida State. He's 7.1, he's more of a shot blocker then anything else. He'll be another project in the works.